Author Topic: can't hit nothin  (Read 6735 times)

Offline Guessed

Re: can't hit nothin
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 10:47:55 pm »
Hehe, I know what 'OP' means, I also can't hit anything. Today I was out "grouse" hunting when I found one sitting on a branch about 10 feet away. 10 feet away (!!), 2 arrows and I missed it, twice.

I dunno, I only advise 'practice.' Try putting a little dot on your bow above where you place your arrows and learn to use that as your 'bead.' It's what I'm going to do tomorrow.

('cause that grouse looked tasty!)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:03:39 am »
Are you shooting from the same distance all of the time and still shooting high and low? Do you have a solid nocking point on your string?Is that nocking point set where it should be or is your arrow porpoising?  Are your arrows matched for weight as well as spine? Are you checking your arrows for straightness before you shoot? Need more info.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 11:19:38 am »
   Your going through what most instantive hunts go through with picking a spot. A the last min in the excitement of haveing a live deer that close. At the last second you eye go's to the most prononced thing there is. THE HORZONIAL LINE OF THE DEERS BACK. I've spine shot so many deer I don't even want to tell you. I think I have 6 or 7 broad heads in vertabrays I've cut out and saved. It's the difference in the deers horzonial back line and it's color and the back grounds color that draws you eye to it that last second. It's stuck in your bain and it's hard to get out.
  Thats the main reason people shoot high.
  Ohter than the wrong arrow spine. The left and right is your canting the bow differently. I only thats a fraction at the bow to make inchs down range.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 04:13:45 pm »
Crooketarrow makes a great point, pun intended.  Lot of us have airmailed arrows right over a deer's back.  Many of us when shooting at a buck send one right thru the horns like a NFL kicker splitting the uprights.  Guess where you were looking?!?!?!    >:D

I look for that little pocket right under the deer's elbow.  Drill your eyes into that spot like you are trying to burn the hair off with your lazer eyesight...then shoot that spot.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 12:08:58 am »
An aiming system would probably help you.  Have you thought about learning to gap shoot? 

Offline JustJake

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 11:11:17 pm »
Whats "gap shooting"?

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 09:35:41 am »

Offline johnston

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 12:22:18 pm »
Form ain't everything but it is the basis for everything. When I finally got consistent with my
bow arm and release(which is a long, dull essential process) I was advised to stump shoot
a lot at all kinds of distances and from all kinds of crazy positions.

Not only was it fun it really helped me. When I stump shoot all the shots just happen
because personally I can't think about form and correctness when I'm on my knees shooting
around a tree. When Yogi Berra said" How can I hit and think at the same time?" He summed that up pretty well.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 09:00:41 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22886.90.html

Read this and you will feel much better lol.
I had lots of issues but now most of them have been worked out. I am working now on getting control of my heart rate as the deer walks in. Dont give up just work harder at it, in 6 months you will get it down.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 09:09:30 am »
I think the first year I shot 28 times before I took a deer
This year I think I shot 5 times and three of those were at moving deer. So if you only count static tagets thats 2 and a long ways from 28. That post above really helped so I hope you can learn from my struggle and the great advice that others provided me as I began. Just keep trying and it will come together!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:04:42 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:38 pm »
Shooting over a deer happens a lot.I call it peaking just before release.You peak to look at either the tip of the arrow or a different look at the deer and quit focusing on your small patch of hair.Now after you get that going consistently on the flat you can start shooting up hill and down hill to get that consistent too.That's all ground shooting.Practice from a tree stand also.The windows and angles are even smaller there.Not trying to shoot a deer more than 15 yards would help too.There are no free rides with consistent shooting.If you have good hand to eye corordination you will get it right.That is keeping everything the same shot to shot.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed