Author Topic: 2012 Elk Hunt  (Read 44518 times)

Offline Adam

Re: 2012 Elk Hunt
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 07:58:39 pm »
Nice elk and great story!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 08:02:19 pm »
Congratulations!  Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.  Beautiful.  :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 08:23:22 pm »
It is terrible to wonder and wait if you will find your game, but certainly glad you did, Congratulations!

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
After a quick celebration and pictures we set on the elk immediately. It had been almost 24 hours since the bull had been shot and despite the cold night, daytime temperatures had warmed considerably. Cooling the meat to prevent spoilage is now our most pressing concern. Chuck examines the wound and says that gutting the animal is out of the question as the broadhead had penetrated the gut sack and exposing the meat to the digestive juices in the cavity could ruin it. We therefore agree that the “gutless” method of quartering an elk is our best option. We split up the job to be as efficient as possible. Chuck has the most experience and is in charge cutting the meat and the overall operation. Max’s job is skinning and helping Chuck. My job is skinning, cleaning, bagging and hanging meat and keeping the knives sharp. When Chuck carves out the first back strap he holds it out for me to examine. It is still warm, but I see nor smell any sign of spoilage. It is a very good and welcome sign.

The elk is quartered and the meat bagged in about an hour and a half. We have our pack frames and pack the meat the half mile to the base of Coral in 2 trips. Night is rapidly coming upon us and we decide to hang the meat where it is rather than pack it the 4 ½ miles back to camp. It's a good spot as it is continually subjected to cold winds that funneled off the surrounding peaks. We will let the meat cool here overnight.

This is me hauling out the antlers.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:08:56 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 09:33:54 pm »
Later that night I contact the outfitter on my cell phone to arrange to have the meat packed out. It had been in the 80’s at the pack station and the outfitter is concerned about spoilage. He suggests that we bone the meat in the morning to prevent bone sour while they bring in the horses. The next morning Chuck and Max make for Coral basin to bone the meat and do a little hunting. Chuck reports later that when he got there the meat was partially frozen. We had picked the coldest spot in the entire area to hang the meat – what a stroke of luck!

The outfitter arrives the next day at noon and I lead him and the mules to where the meat is hanging. It was not easy getting the horses in there but we get it all. We end up with almost 300 lbs of cut and packaged prime elk meat!

Here is a picture the outfitter packing out our meat.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 10:05:31 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:04 pm »
We call in several more bulls over the course of the next 10 days but can never get a good shot. But we have many memorable experiences. One time I call in a nice bull and as Chuck is positioning himself to arrow it, he trips backward over a log and spooks the bull. On another occasion I call in a 5x5 for Max. I can see both the bull and Max and I began to wonder how Max could seem so non-pulsed when the bull comes within 30 yards of his position. Then I watch in horror as Max puts a cow call to his lips and starts calling! Of course the bull locates him immediately and vanishes back into the timber. Later when I ask him about it he said he had no idea there was a bull in the vicinity and that he was only trying to help me out. I looked at him and say “Son, next time, don’t help”.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:11:16 am by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 09:36:02 pm »
Following are more pictures of our trip.

Elk Camp 2012

Max and Chuck killed several grouse with their bows on this trip. Boned and fried quickly on a hot pan, the breasts are out of this world good.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »
In addition to grouse, Max made sure that the camp was regularly supplied with fresh trout.

Even dad got into the fishing when he wasn’t elk hunting.  ;D

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 09:38:09 pm »
I was camp cook and my job was to make sure that nobody was going to go hungry!

…or thirsty!

Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 09:40:16 pm »
One of those grouse looks a little "fishy"!

Incredible story, great photos, a real pleasure to read.  I am so glad you and your son were able to share this experience together.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 09:40:37 pm »
Father and son ready for some serious hunting!

Hmm, I wonder if I can hit that grouse?

Max’s first bow kill!

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »
So many wallows, so little time…

The view from our camp.

There’s got to be something down there.

Gordon

Offline Gordon

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 09:42:58 pm »
Jim (the outfitter) and his dog Marlo, the wonder dog!

The horses.

The view from our side of the mountain.

Gordon

Offline Little John

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:15 am »
Totaly great hunt, story, and pictures. You were living the dream of dreams. Glad it all come together for you. I am sure you were hunting with a to die for bow, looks like you had your parteners out classed in that regards.So what were you shooting and how was the performance. How far did your bull go and did you get a liver shot? Again, glad it all come together for you, and I know you have earned it. My elk hunts this season have taught me humility and more lessons and leave me with big plans for next year. Glad you got to experience such a fine adventure.  Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 12:38:55 am »
First, congradulations on a awesome hunt.  Man, I love this story.  I felt like I was right there with you every step, every emotion.  Thanks so much for sharing and for the great photos.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw