Author Topic: Stoned a doe with my white oak bow  (Read 7036 times)

Offline H Rhodes

Stoned a doe with my white oak bow
« on: October 27, 2012, 07:38:32 pm »
Got in the woods at daylight on Wednesday morning.  I was about twelve feet up a little spruce pine tree overlooking a five way trail intersection underneath a white oak tree that was steadily dropping acorns.  This was the fourth time I had hunted this spot and I had seen multiple deer each time.  The stand overlooks a creek bottom and one of the main deer trails came between the bluff and my stand,  a natural choke point.  I had this doe and three others within twelve yards of me for about twenty minutes.  I had to wait for a perfect moment to draw, while all of them were feeding or had their heads behind trees....  The shot was about ten yards.  She kicked a little and made a run.  I knew that I had hit her good.  Saw NO blood for 150 yards or so.  I found one drop which was dark red heart blood after almost forty five minutes of tracking.  I continued on another hundred yards or so and found her.  I used my fifty lb white oak D bow, cane arrow and one of Stringman's chert points.  I haven't found my arrow yet.  Entry wound was a little low and it passed through and came out the bottom between the front legs.   It warmed up quickly so I had to get her dressed out and cooled off quick.  Sorry for the poor pics, I am my own photographer and was miles from anyone.   She was big for our area, over a 100 lbs and is now in my freezer.  Very thankful to the Creator for a fine beginning of this season. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 07:59:30 pm by hrhodes »
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: Stoned a doe with my white oak bow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:27:18 pm »
Congrats, Howard! Nice job!! :)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »
That's what it's all about right there, sir!!!!   Good shootin.
rich

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »
Very nice.Congratulations !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline jimmy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:46:07 pm »
I love to see such a wide variety of primitive/traditional bows being used here, not to mention the all the different poundages.  They all seem to do the job well, your white oak honey in this case.  Good job!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »
Thanks so much fellows and good luck to y'all this year.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:34:54 am »
Nice job,beautiful doe. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:28:24 am »
I have one of Scott's arrowheads, and I can feel it's desire to do what yours has done.  Good work, thanks for sharing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 02:35:20 am »
Thanks Pappy, JW.  Yep, Scott makes some fine points and he is a great fellow to trade with, and from what that turkey says in his recent post, a helluva hunter as well. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi