Author Topic: Yew bow takedown  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Yew bow takedown
« on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »
I finished my yew selfbow that I had been working on yesterday. This week is fall break so I took the week off to be with the kids and hunt a bit. It was 40 degrees this morning and really calm. I eased into the woods at 6:00 a.m. and jumped one near my stand. I was seated and ready at 6:09. I was hunting over a very fresh scrape that has been hit twice in the past week for sure. There is a white oak in the same spot as well and full of acorns. At 7:00 I heard a deer walking off the ridge coming towards me. I looked over my right shoulder and didn't see him but he was coming fast and on the other side. I eased around to look left and he was going to pass right by me. I had to hurry. He was going to pass by at about 12 yards and then right under a big beach tree. I drew quick and took the shot. I hit him in the short ribs.
He exploded forward and when he came out the other side of the beach I could see the arrow stick out of him but it looked like there was only about 8-10" penetration. That worried me. He hit a draw at 50 yards and fell then right back up and trucking. I thought I heard him fall again but wasn't positive. I decided to give him 90 minutes. At 8:30 I got down and saw blood right where I shot him so that was a good sign but the hit was up on the back so he would bleed mostly inside. I went to where I last saw him and could see that he was on a good trail. I traveled about 75 yards and saw him. I had shot through a rib, his liver and right through the far lung, but when he ran the arrow was working out so that's why it looked shallow.

He was a young 10-pointer. The bow is a yew bow 42# @ 27.5" I was shooting a barrelled shaft POC arrow that Paul Jalon made me from Elite Arrows. I used a 2-blade 125 gr. point. I put the arrow on the chrono yesterday and it shoots 144 fps. Arrow weight is 450 gr.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
Re: Yew bow takedown
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 03:26:54 pm »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:46:01 pm »
That's a beautiful deer, Ranger.  Between the liver and the one lung his time on this earth was short. 

Let's see some more of that bow!  She looks pretty graceful, not to mention deadly.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline keithv

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:40:57 pm »
Great deer and shot. Have a good rest of the season.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:20:37 pm »
Very nice.

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:44:37 am »
You are a hunting machine, nice bow also. Sounds like good arrow speed also for the draw weight. Good work and good luck for the remainder of the season.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 06:01:54 am »
Nice one Jimmy,I looked at him yesterday. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DGF

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 06:10:53 am »
Great job on a great buck! Congrats.   :D

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Big A

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:31:18 am »
Way to go Jimmy. 8)
Big A

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:20 am »
Nice one, Jimmy. Good Shot!
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nlester

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 11:14:32 am »
Nice job Jimmy.  Good looking bow and a great shot.

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:19:48 am »
You sir are a stone cold killer  >:D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline boughnut

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:53:39 pm »
Congrats nice buck.  Good to see you are putting them great shooting skills you display in your videos to the test.  Very nice

Offline nocams

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »
Congrats RangerB ! That buck did not know it but if he was within seeing distance from you he was a, " Dead Deer Walkin " !!! Hope the "Hackberry Hammer " gets to see some tours of duty this year too. Loved those stories from a few years back and getting to see her in person finally at Twin Oaks.

Offline lowell

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 11:35:28 pm »
Very nice!!1  Congratulatios!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!