Author Topic: Tipi Living. Life around the hearth...  (Read 10659 times)

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
Tipi Living. Life around the hearth...
« on: October 08, 2012, 09:34:11 pm »
So, it has been a month since we set out into the Southern Oregon Wilderness to live in a tipi. Our family has had a lot of experience with unorthodox living situations, ranging from a  school bus to an old milkhouse, and this is by far the greatest of them all. It is funny to me that this way of life is seen to be as odd being that this way of life has been the HUMAN way of life for most of our existence on this spinning ball of wonder called earth. Not living in a tipi, necessarily, but living with fire, on the ground, in total freedom is the lifeway that gave us so much for so long. Conical tents are also not only an American Plains Indian construct either. They are amongst the oldest forms of hunter/gatherer Nomadic structures. The people who came before on the land we live were in fact hunter gatherer band society known as Takelma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takelma). The land is ideal for this way of life, staying dry and high most of the year, but enough springs to fill your canteen whenever you fancy. Our "summer" location is nestled high in cedar and pine groves, with a bounty of elderberry, wild strawberry, squirrel, mule deer, and even a few bear signs close to home recently. The area is skirted by oak savannas that are offering a bumper crop of acorns this year as well. It is as if the spirit of wildness is giving us the warmest welcome one could hope for.
The other family that lives up here in a tipi just had their fourth child, in the tipi. The kids are all loving life as there is never any place they cannot go and a thousands worlds available to them at any whim. I will have more to write another time, and hopefully some stories to share of a victorious bow. Till later, may the forest bewitch you!

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline portlandfire

Re: Tipi Living. Life around the hearth...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 04:19:21 am »
    I was thinking about you and your family the other day.  Good thoughts going your way!!!  Absolutely beautiful area.  When do you do to a  lower elevation? 
   Our house closed, and now we are looking for something closer to the grandkids.  I have had people offer me use of their tipi, but I really think my wife would balk at that choice :o
   Be safe and keep in touch.

Dave

Offline Scowler

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:17:31 am »
Thanks for the update.  There are many (myself included) who would love to do what you and your family are doing.  Living in a tipi is not the easiest thing to do, but it must be very rewarding living as our ancestors did.  Best of luck to you and your family. :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:24:00 pm »
I think about you guys a lot. I can't wait to come out and visit. It's been making me think alot about our future choices and about how stealthily society hooks its claws into you through things like school debt and such.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:46:58 pm »
Very cool.

Jon

Offline Ben M

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09:57 am »
I respect you and I thank you.
I put a song in my flute in honor of the Woman and Child you wrote about.
My very best to you,
Ben

Offline Gila_Mike

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:05:45 am »
Not living in a tipi, necessarily, but living with fire, on the ground, in total freedom is the lifeway that gave us so much for so long.

What you say is true. I believe that truth lies buried deep within all of us. I admire you for living as we were meant to live. Peace be with you.

Mike

"New Things Are No Good!"
.....(Steve McQueen in The Hunter)

Offline Prehistoric Goddess

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:41:50 pm »
Jealous! 8)

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:06:13 am »
That's awesome.  I'm sure it's difficult to break away from modern living, but that is a fantastic existance!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 03:37:15 am »
Wow!...Wow .....i am eager to hear more stories and see more pictures ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:16:16 am »
Thinking about you guys.  Mostly jealous thoughts.   ;)  Looking forward to the next update. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:28 am »
Awesome!  Love it!  I'll be watching this very closely!   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »
Just saw this and have to say WOW what a great life that must be. Who wouldn't want to be right there now? Good living friend. :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:52 pm »
That must be great. Hunt for food, etc? sounds wayyy to awesome!
I might do that.... Maybe in a few years... once I am out of school...
-Squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"