Author Topic: blown stalk  (Read 2801 times)

Offline armymedic.2

blown stalk
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:05:37 am »
Yesterday i made a quick groundblind overlooking a grass field secluded in the woods.  It is about 200 yards long and 60 yards wide.   With thirty minutes of light left a doe came out on opposite end of field.   Feeling a bit froggy i went for it....and to get the wind right....my first move was striaght across the open field about 150 yards from her.   By the time i made it across my heart was pumping.

Now in the pines on the otherside......i used the drop in terrain which is about two feet from level and the tall grass on edge of field to advance to her.   At about seventy yards she happened to look up and caught me half standing.    A two minute staredown ensued which i won as she went back to grazing....but my legs were prrtty burnt afterwards.
She then looked my way again when i was around sixty and i held still for another minute or so legs bent.    Now they really hurt!

I got to fifty yards and nestled in. To wait on her.  She was slowly grazing my way.   Squatting there in the tall grass i checked around me to make sure i coukd draw in the fallen pine limbs all around me.   The 72 inch bow would have to go almost horizontal but it would work.    She came a bit more........a bit more.......ok forty something now......less then ten minutes of shooting light.

Then because this deer had lived a clean life.....or i havent....a twig that had been silent underfoot for some reason decided to snap with more noise then a 22 it seemed.    Crack!    Head up tail up slow bound away.......

Heart thumping trashed legs and a smile on my face.   That was fun.   "Knew i should have worn my moccs instead of boots! "  all the fun and no gutting.   Could be worse :)

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 09:11:56 am by armymedic.2 »
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline gstoneberg

Re: blown stalk
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:22:51 am »
Nice!! Good writing too, felt like I was there with you.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:12:54 am »
Good story,hard to stalk a whitetail for sure. :) You can win but will loose way more times that they will. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 03:42:19 pm »
Good huntin! Few things compete with good quality deer woods to stalk in. Enjoy each and every chance you get!!

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:59:53 pm »
Between stalking while in sight of prey, or calling them to decoys, I just can't decide which one drives my pulse harder!!!

I just can't understand how you guys can sit in a stand?  You got waaay more patience than me!

Great description, AM2.  Next time post one with pics of you AND the deer.  I don't care if you have to shoot the deer with that bow you are carrying, I want pics of that deer!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:06:19 am »
It's easy to understand j-dub. When in the stand I have my phone &  tablet plugged into the inverter, the sensors watching the feeders while I lay back on the bed and read a good book. The buddy heater keeps it toasty warm.   Doesn't everybody hunt that way?

Oops, I'm hijacking again.... :-[ :-[

George
St Paul, TX

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:21:47 pm »
Haha.   You guys are too funny.   

I would love to post a pic of the deer jw.    Suppose i will win one of these close encounters soon.   I take my fair share other ways......but with the bow its different.    I have taken three actively stalking deer with my bow.     It mske my heart bump so bad i dont care most are destined to fail

Ground blinds and tree stands are fun.   Still hunting snd some walking by is great.  Seeing one and going for it.......now that makes me insane with adrenaline.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:34 am »
That's a great story!
1’—>1’

Offline Rcdeer

• Old School..selfbows an flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:10:31 pm »
Thank you!  rainin here this WEEK so I got to go on a hunt thru you..!  good job!
A Promise Made is a Debt Unpaid
..Upstate N.Y.