Author Topic: attempt at making trade points from a skill saw blade  (Read 10778 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
attempt at making trade points from a skill saw blade
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:09 am »
As you will soon see  I have no experience with metal fab! this is kind of a build a long not a how to because it would be doing it the hard way so keep your chuckles to a minimum and look at the pictures

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: attempt at making trade points from a skill saw blade
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 02:30:15 am »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 02:32:52 am »

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 02:28:31 pm »
If you use a cold chissel and hammer to score lines you can put the metal in a vise and bend at the scored line and it will snap in two. Less grinding that way. But your points look great.
Steve Bennett

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 04:21:20 pm »
I tried that first... I had an established line with the chisel but could not get it to snap this bent it :( so I went ahead and try the plasma cutter( first timer ::) ) but I will definitely give that a try again with a chisel next time cause grinding does stink ;)

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »
I have never tried it, but I have been told that the metal cutting wheels for the dremmel make short work of cutting up the circ saw blade. 

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 09:59:15 pm »
I have never tried it, but I have been told that the metal cutting wheels for the dremmel make short work of cutting up the circ saw blade. 

I tried the dremel cutting wheels and they worked ok exept they break real  easy.
Steve Bennett

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »
I like your points.  How did you sharpen them?

I bought an angle grinder and some abrasive cut-off discs to make trade points with.  It worked great.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 11:28:25 pm »
With a metal file, i prefer a single bevel with a chisel tip and the only way i can get a consistent edge is with a file ;)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:46:47 pm »
I like it!!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Robo

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 05:35:26 pm »
Cutting with a plasma cutter or torch will burn the carbon out of the steel. Annealing the metal first will make it much easier to cut and grind. Retemper and resharpen the points when made.

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:16:58 pm »

I tried the dremel cutting wheels and they worked ok exept they break real  easy.

The reinforced Dremel wheels last much longer and I've not had one break on me yet. I use them to cut out knife blanks. If you go slow enough (don't change the color of the steel) you should not need to anneal or re temper.

Also, if you can find non carbide blades they are made from better steel and will be more durable points.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline carpentertimw

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 04:48:14 pm »
look for 10" or 12" miter saw blades without slots, you can get lots of points from those! and the non carbide ones aren't very expensive even new last i looked.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 08:44:35 pm »
look for 10" or 12" miter saw blades without slots, you can get lots of points from those! and the non carbide ones aren't very expensive even new last i looked.

Thanks ill look into that :D

Offline steve b.

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:02:12 pm »
Soy,
I did the miter saw thing and blades came out at 300 grns.  I like everything about them but they don't sharpen well.  I think the annealing is the way to go but I don't know much about it.  These things go through 1/2" of plywood with no problem.