Author Topic: how to mix pine pitch  (Read 6990 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

how to mix pine pitch
« on: October 12, 2012, 02:04:41 pm »
How do you mix pine pitch & use to put your points on I was told to use hardwood ashes but I was told that if you use to much it wont work it will be to brittle.
Rob

Offline Adam

Re: how to mix pine pitch
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 02:09:52 pm »
I haven't found an exact ratio yet.  I added too much ash once and it was very brittle.  By heating it up again and adding some beeswax, it will make the pitch more flexible.  Normally, I'll let some cool, see if it's the consistency I want, then add ash of wax to adjust it.  You probably already know this, but be very careful heating it.  It's extremely volatile and can catch on fire easily.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:21:50 am »
I use finely ground hardwood charcoal as the filler for pitch glue and bees wax to make it less brittle. I don't have a recipe but it is about 3 to 4 parts pitch and 1 part each of charcoal and bees wax. You have to start with hard, brittle pitch for this to work or it will stay tacky.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 01:48:54 am »
Do you need actual hardwood crushed coal or can finely burned ashes work just as well? 
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 08:52:01 am »
I was told to use the ashes.
Rob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 10:37:38 am »
I have not tried ash but have used charcoal, dried deer or rabbit poop or saw dust. The charcoal, like the others is the filler or at least to add body to the mixture so ash should probably work OK too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 07:44:51 pm »
  CARCOAL AND ASHS ARE MESSY.
 I USE ATLER FILEINGS YOU STILL GET THE DARK COLOR OF THE PINE PITCH BUT IT WORKS THE SAME.
 I don't have a set formular just add as I need it. I've never put a lot it to where it makes it brittle. Put you just need enough to hole it together. You can see the specks in it, it'll look like pepper in it.  If it's brittle it's from to much wax I had some more pitch. Heat dip in a stick let dry if it's still brittle and a little more pitch. If you can take your finger nail and it flakes off . It's to brittle. I just keep heating dipping my sticks let harden try, add what I need untill it's platable to where it's hard to where I can push my thumb nail into it but won't flake off. 
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »
Crookedarrow did u mean too much wax would make it too soft not too brittle?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:58:23 pm »
I've used ash and mixed in a little bit of sawdust as filler, too. I seem to have plenty of that. Then I add beeswax till it's the right consistancey.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 10:41:34 am »
I use hardwood charcoal and dried deer poop. Equal amounts. I grind them until it is very fine. I heat up my pitch until it is all liquid. I do NOT let it boil. Once heated I pour the charcoal/poop mixture in a little at a time until I get the consistence I want. I have found that if you use brittle and hard pitch that is how it will turn out. I look for soft runny pitch to use.
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:34:03 am »
   Yea to much wax will make it brittle and not as sticky sticky as it could be. You go past the being to solf to to britle.I just keep adding a little wax bring it to a boil dip a stick let dry. When it gets to where I can push my thumb nail in to it but it's kinds hard it's as good as it going to get.  If you can take a nail and flake it off to much wax. Add a little pitch, boil try again. Never had that problem with yo much filler but I've neve added to much. I can get it better than any hot glue you can buy.
   My old friend CROOKETARROW show me a boiled root that really helps with it being really sticky.
  I'D TELL YOU WHAT IT IS BUT I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU. But you'd be totally surprised to find out. He ground the root fibers up for a filler you don't really need the antler for filler. I do the same I just add it anyway because it always worked good for me. He only used te root filler. 

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 10:41:23 am »
  I guess the pitch makes the solf wax brittle wjhen heated and to much is added. HARD WAX IS BRITTLE.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 11:03:00 am »
Somehow the picture of Pat B sitting on the ground with a pestle and mortar grinding deer poop came to mind and gave me a good chuckle >:D

Offline markinengland

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »
Real turpentine can be added to make brittle pine resin more sticky. Go careful as a little goes a long way. Personally I like a mixture of four part pine resin, 1 part powdered charcoal, one part ground plant fibre (or rabbit/deer/horse poop) and a little beeswax. Seems to work well enough.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 12:22:08 pm »
I don't want my pitch glue to be sticky to the touch except when I heat it. That is why I start with hard, brittle pitch. If the pitch I have is sticky I cook it until the volatile oils(turps) have disapated. I use finely ground charcoal to add body to the pitch glue and bees wax to make the pitch less brittle. If you use just hard, brittle pitch it can easly crumble, dislodging the head or blade.
 My pitch glue is added to the shaft and head by melting it and dripping it where it is needed. By heating it it becomes sticky so it will adhere to almost any material and when it cools it looses it stickiness but will still remained attached to whatever it is put on. If for some reason the head or blade becomes detached or loosened a little heat on the point or blade will slightly melt the pitch allowing it to re-adhere to the stone and/or wood(or antler or whatever).
 If you use sticky pitch it will remain sticky until the turps disapate which could take a while and in the mean time it will collect any foreign material that comes in contact with it like lint, leaves and grass or whatever. The way I was tought to make pitch glue will not pick up "trash" after it has cooled. That is why I make it the way I do, using hard, brittle pitch to start with.