Author Topic: Heat treating demystified (Somewhat)  (Read 14546 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Heat treating demystified (Somewhat)
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 07:31:22 am »
As I said, the weight loss was LESS than 2% and this was right after heat-treating.  After letting the wood sit for a few days it regained most of the lost weight.  I do agree that the shrinking of the belly would mean that there would be less space for moisture to return but this is one of the benefit of heat-treating.  Simply air dried wood will not achieve the same results even if you dried it for 20 years.  The heat-treating process plasticizes the belly wood and allows it to be re-shaped, I'm sure that this plasticized wood does not allow moisture back in.  One of the things about high density tropical wood species that makes them so heavy and resistant to water is their lack of air space in their cells, space that can be occupied by water.  By heat-treating the belly of a white-wood you basically shrink it down and increase its density which increases its compression strength.

I sent a fairly short heat-treated Elm recurve many years ago to a guy in Arkansas.  He brought the bow to one of the first Mojams and was showing it to some people down there.  He told me that the guys were amazed to see the bow keep it's reflex when unstrung after being held at full draw, the weather was quite humid at the time.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 09:19:58 am »
I should leave this thread with the last word said by the innovator of this thread but I'm selfish.Sorry I'll work on it.Everybody's up early today.Guess we are all church goers......LOL.OOOps that's a touchy subject....sorry.Personally I'm just up for no reason other than I can't sleep no more.....LOL.
This bow making to me is having a knowledge of the properties of different types of woods.To back up what hrodes said I always take a future bow inside roughed out from a stave.Weigh it till it quits losing weight at a controlled humidity.That can take weeks sometimes to get that last moisture point.Then finish it out.I don't own a moisture meter.I've been told by different bow makers oh that's a lot of fuss to do.Then their bow after being made follows the string bad or does'nt cast very well and blame the wood.To me it's worth the time.
After heat treating I have weighed bows made too.2% loss mass weight is about right.Most times it does'nt gain very much back.Whitewood gains draw weight.Hedge does'nt so much for me because it is already plenty dense.
Good post lost arrow.
I'll quit now no sense in beating a dead horse to death.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline druid

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 04:01:31 pm »
lostarrow, thank you one more time for these datas. Great to see so much expirienced faces here in this topic.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 11:14:08 pm »
I am constantly mystified by the tendency to promote anecdotal experiences without checking whether scientific studies on a given subject have already been done. The document linked below presents clear evidence about the results of heat treating wood. It is a lengthy document, but very useful as the subject relates to bow making.

http://www.ncsu.edu/bioresnnources/BioRes_03/BioRes_03_2_Kocaefe_PB_ThermalTreat_Aspen.pdf

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 12:09:17 am »
Hi Jim , thanks for the link to the article . It appears to be a paper written in 2008 if I'm correct. Looks like someone was trying to convince a lumber company to try heat as an alternative to chemical treatment for lumber.This is all old info in the industry and is taught in most of the better Cabinetmaking and Furnituremaking schools as the basics. As I mentioned in an earlier reply I am trying to present the info in a way that is easy to understand and practical for our purposes on this site .I'm trying to give the reasons behind the successful anecdotes to help people understand  why a "proven method" may have let them down.Basically ,what the document said in dozens of pages, with volumes of information was summed up in a few paragraphs above in laymans terms with a visual experiment to further the understanding. I'm not trying to take the magic out of bowmaking ,just trying to make us all better magicians.If you wanted to do a thorough search you could find a hundred more articles saying the same thing. I too am leery on anecdotal evidence  but based on my own education and firsthand knowledge on the subject of wood and how to shape and manipulate it , I found Marc's presentation of his findings to be very well founded.He may not have used the" standards of scientific testing" but he never suggested that he did. He gave his findings based on what he tried and the results he could measure based on the equipment he had to measure them.If not presented in the "real life  scenario" that Marc did in TBB , few people if any would be doing it today.  Thanks again for the link. (I had to type in a search on the site to get it . "Thermal manipulation Aspen" I believe is what I used )

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 01:23:37 am »
I think it was already explained in layman's terms by Marc. What you have done is misrepresented the process in layman's terms.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 02:11:53 am »
Just a little extra info for those interrested in the "why" behind the "how" PatM. If you feel the info is incorrect , please feel free to present a rebuttal. I believe this is a discussion forum for the advancement of "Bowyery"and in the spirit of such  ,discussion is a good thing.NOWHERE were there any statements, attacking or contradicting the findings of Marc.On the contrary I posted the info in the belief that a slightly more in depth look at the subject would further promote  the benefits of this technique! A question presented by another member ,in another post prompted me to write it to give a possible conclusion to the failure of his bow. In doing so, I realised this info may have been of interrest to others. Please take the time to read all of the posts here again and let me know where I've offended you, so I can assure you it was unintentional. At the risk of reiteration , I found Marc's conclusions to be well founded and completely supported by the scientific knowledge we have gained over the last century regarding cell structure of wood and how it responds to heat.
Please , if anyone finds anything I post to be in error, feel free to quote the statement and present your argument for the contrary. I'm only human and am not offended by being proven wrong. Humbled perhaps, but not offended. When we stop learning , we die.

In response to your previous post
lostarrow, The shrinkage and decreased moisture uptake of the heat treated wood still doesn't explain things. A heat treated bow can at least be brought back to an intolerably high mc for a regular bow and still perform better. You may not be able to turn a raisin back into a grape but a moist heat treated bow performs better than a bone dry regular bow.
 I'm not sure if anyone has dried a stave for 7 years in forced reflex and compared it to a bow heat treated into reflex though.
The shrinkage of the heat treated cells cause the  hollow portion of the cell that holds the water to decrease in size, while the solid portion of the cell walls(lignin,cellulose ,minerals etc. ) contain the same amount of material(very slight amount may be lost ,but not enough to be concerned with for our purposes),thereby creating a more dense structure.  As we know , a higher density is a desirable for the belly of a bow as long as the back can tolerate the extra strain. The higher density and the Crystallization of the "sugars " (several chemicals exist in wood and form hundreds of compounds that research has only scratched the surface on ,so for us  it is the sugar that helps the tree grow.)slow the transmission of moisture into the heat treated area. The back , having not been "toasted " will allow the transmission more readily.Extra moisture in this area is more desirable as it keeps the wood more flexible. In this way we are  changing the ratio  for the characteristics of any given wood. A wood already good in tension but not so much in compression, comparatively, will now act like a wood with a higher compression to tension ratio. A moist, heat treated bow CAN outperform a bone dry  regular bow all dependant on the ratio.To understand moisture content  and how it is measured ,scientifically compared to in the field might greatly help understand as well. Scientifically , you cook a sample of wood until it stops losing weight  and calculate the difference based on what it weighed at the beginning . In the field it is measured by placing electrodes into the wood and comparing the electrical conductivity to the known conductivity of water. (close enough for the purposes of most people dealing with wood) The non-probe method uses the same principal  only with magnetic fields as opposed direct electrical connection. The big problem with these is that they would have to take into account the variable mineral and chemical compounds within the would to be accurate. The $400  ones attempt to take this into account but there are a huge amount of variables to look at depending on  where a species grows. A Cedar tree growing in a swamp filled with iron is going to have a different composition than one growing in a fertilized garden.Iron conducts electricity differently than "Miracle Grow" . (HAHA)They are an indicator only and should not be relied on %100. As you said yourself heat changes wood like no amount of drying.That was never a question.  As wood shrinks ,it will never again be able to hold the same amount of water it did before.It can still absorb water ,just not as much and at a different rate.As for the seven year drying ,that would refer to the extra stabilization a piece of wood has after going through the moisture loss/gain cycle seven times compared to one. Having said that, if improperly stored ,(excessively dry) ,that piece could be worthless for bows because  it could have lost enough moisture to break the bond between the cells. I've dealt with one and two hundred year old hardwood that was like a piece of sponge toffee(furniture restoration days).

I try to read these posts over after I've written them to see if they make sense ,but it made perfect sense to me the first time I wrote it at 1am. I may be taking some things for common knowledge and not getting the point across as intended but keep questioning, that's the only way to advance. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:35:52 am by lostarrow »

Offline TBod

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 05:08:11 am »
About the 2% weight loss right after heat treatment:

Say that you lower the MC (moisture quota would be a better name) from 10% to 0 % on the belly and maybe a couple of mm inside. How big a portion of the bows total volume is that? Maybe a 1/5. Then 1/5 x 10% = 2% water or weight loss.

Then it regains some water so the MC is maybe 6% on the belly. 10-6 =4 x 1/5 = 0,8 % total weight loss.

Just an example how to value the weight loss. (Sorry if I am no good at explaining)

I really appreciate your work and patience lostarrow, keep going!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 09:23:52 am »
  IT'S PERTY MUCH MY THINGING ALSO.
 PERSONALLY I DON'T heat threat my personal bows. But for 2 reasons I do once in a while.
 (1) When your building someone a bow to MOST people when the think bows the see a straight limbed glass bow.
  (2) For the last 15 years. I have reflex and untwist as soon as I cut my staves. Then its do natural NO HEAT NO CELL DAMAGE.
Then you can build the bow as staight as you want in most casts. If I do use any heat it's in the handle area to help line up the tips.

UNFORTENTLY I CUT 100'S OF STAVES WHEN I STARTED 21 YEARS AGO. AND DID'N T KNOW ABOUT REFLEXING THE NATURAL WAY. Some of these I have to heat for some people. If they really don't understand self bows, like I said the exspect a staight limbe bow.

What I see on here ALOT is the wrong use of the kind of heat used on the wrong wood. THEY'LL SAY I'VE ALWAYS DID IT LIKE THAT. IT WORKS FOR ME AND IT MIGHT WORK. FOR A WHILE BUT YOUR NOT GETTING ALL YOUR BOW AS TO OFFER.
 Heating kinda like getting set or string follow. Once the damage none or you change wood cells it's none and you can't go back. And you can't build the bow to it full protental.

I do beleive if it not done right (IT CAN'T BE IN THE REAL SINCE) or if it's none at all in most woods. The bows not what it could be and the bows life with excessive shots would'nt last as long as it should. FOR THE ADVERAGE PERSON WHO ONLY SHOOT A FEW ARROWS EVERY COUPLE DAY OR LONGER IT USWLLY WON'T MATTER.
  Were not talking bending the tips or the handle. Heats won't hurt your bow heating a none working part. I DO THIS, I'LL BEND A HANDLE AREA TO LINE UP THE TIPS IT I NEED TO. BUT LIKE I SAID ON PERSONAL BOWS I NEVER HEAT A WORKING PART.
  I'd say OSAGE TAKES HEATING FAR BETTER THAT ANY WOOD i KNOW OF. The risins and oils help to stop the wood for srinking the wood cell like said.
  They heat up and you don't have to heat the wood near as much as others. Meaning you do'nt get the koisture loss as you do from heating other woods.

Your right people do get real defencive. When heats wood comes up. I think its just because your telling them differnt ,went they've been doing it their way all along. Changes not bad. I've built over 100 bows but don't think my ways the only way. It suits the ways I do it.
 IF I READ A POST THAT I CAN USE TO MY BENIFIT I CHAGNE RIGHT AWAY AND TRY IT ON THE NEXT BOW. BUT FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE YOUR HURTING THERE WAYS OF THINKING AND THE WAY THEY LEARNED.
  EXSECIALLY ON THE NO BAINER THINGS.
  VERY GOOD AND WELL WRITEN POST.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PatM

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 10:06:26 am »
I'm not sure why you guys are getting upset that a poorly written, sweeping generalization post might be critiqued a bit.
 It is quite easy to see how the post can be misinterpreted as making a reference to heat treating just being "super permanent drying".
 I wasn't aware that so many people were struggling with the process so if you think that first post is a lesson in how to heat treat properly, then that's fine.
 The last post goes into a bit of the detail as to what goes on in heat treated wood and we ignorant buffoons can understand the slightly more complex lingo of the non layman's terms. ;)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 11:19:54 am »
Wood is wood no matter if it's heat-treated or not.  Tempering wood does not affect its elasticity and that is the determining factor on how long a bow will last.  If you heat-treat a bow, properly, and reflex the heck out of it then it will not last as long as the same bow with less introduced reflex.  This is because the heat re-shapes the wood cells (plasticizes) so that it can be re-formed into a different shape.  The elasticity of the wood is not affected but the new belly shape has to undergo higher compression forces for the same draw length.  If the back has enough tension strength/elasticity to survive then at one point the belly will start to fail.  If you want a shorter lived, high performance hunting bow that will only be shot in hunting situations then a highly reflexed, heat-treated bow will give you years of use.  On the other hand if you are going to use this same bow for steady target practice in addition to hunting with it in the fall then it's life span will be considerably reduced.  If it's a target bow you want then simply heat-treating the wood with no additional reflex will give you a slightly better performing bow than one that has not been heat-treated and this bow will last as long as the bow that has not been heat-treated.  Once again, the elasticity of the wood being heat-treated does not change, unless you take your heat-treating too far.  Remember, Brown is good, Black is bad.

As to bows I have made.  I have some out there that were heat-treated 10 years ago.  They were highly reflexed bows used extensively for hunting/target and they are starting to show their age.  Whether or not these same bows would have survived longer without the heat-treating is unknown as I can't go back in time and take it back :-).

P.S.  There was a tech paper available from the USDA Forest Service on using heat and chemicals to re-shape wood.  I read the paper many years ago and it was an interesting read.  Unfortunately I went to the site and couldn't find it anymore.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:26:45 am by Marc St Louis »
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 11:28:05 am »
I think the facts of that article  and folks experience with heat treating wood can be summarized by saying  that there is a temperature at which wood starts to become stronger in compression. Through a fairly small range of higher temperatures, the strength in compression continues to increase. At a higher temperature, the wood begins to  decrease in compression strength, and possibly in tension strength.

The best temperature for strength gain can be gauged by the color change in the surface of the wood. A color  similar to lightly toasted white bread indicates a temperature that strengthens the wood. Colors darker than that indicate temperatures that are weakening the wood.

This is in line with what Marc said above and in his chapter on heat treating in the TBB.

Refining these principles requires good measuring  equipment or judgement based on experience.

J
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 01:04:10 pm »
Thanks again for your input Marc. I believe we are stating the same point of view.If you think something doesn't jive with your findings (I agree with everything I have seen)please quote the statement in question so we can further our Knowledge in productive manner without  having to repeat ourselves .Once again thank you for the straight forward findings you have presented. I think we may have exhausted this one for now.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 01:17:13 pm »
My simple mind hurts you guys..........
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline scp

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 01:03:08 pm »
Mine too! Still I sure would like to know what happens to the wood when we heat treat it. We all seem to agree that some moisture is removed. That might bring on some structural change. But heating treating does not appear to be same as simple drying and there might be even some chemical or molecular level changes. The simplest way to test this is to seal the back and sides of a bow real well and dry its belly as long as it takes to the level of just heat treated belly.