Poll

what type of stand has produced the best results for you not which one you use but which one you have harvested game from.

ground blind
2 (10.5%)
regular tree stand
4 (21.1%)
climber
4 (21.1%)
ladder stand
2 (10.5%)
no stand I stalk prey
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 02, 2007, 10:14:26 pm

Author Topic: what type of stand  (Read 13188 times)

Offline Jesse

what type of stand
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:14:26 pm »
 I know everyone has there own favorite but I was wondering which type was most involved in successful hunts.  ???
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: what type of stand
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:22:22 am »

For many years I hunted almost solely out of a climbing stand. I liked the flexibility it provided. Most of the bowhunters I know have been hunting their spots for quite some time in most cases. Through scouting and hunting you learn an area and are able to pinpoint the best locations to hunt. For 5-6 years now I've been using mostly lock-on stands with climbing sticks that hug and strap against the tree. I typically hunt at around 16', and try to have cover around me. We might pull in and tie off a young beech sapling against the stand for instance, or pull up cover we cut and attach to the stand/tree. Sometimes we'll place a stand in a large cedar which offers a lot of cover. But the most attention is given to the placement of the stands themselves, because we're setting up for close shots due to the equipment we're using. Natural funnels in the woods such as the woods narrowing to a bottleneck, or a ditch crossing are some of the type locations we'll hunt. We also put out food plots which we may hunt the edge of in the afternoon hunts, and between the foodplots and bedding area's during the morning hunts.

I still use a climbing stand at times to try out a new area, or maybe hunt an oak that I've found dropping acorns with feeding sign during the season. Also rutting sign will sometimes move me to a climbing stand, although a lot of our lock-ons are covering excellant travel area's that would be also used by bucks. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

makete

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:45:42 am »
Do you want to know which stand type we have harvested game from or which type we have harvested more game out of?

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:28:23 pm »
I personally have had the most success with ground blinds. In the last 30 years probably 60% of my kills from them. I have used tree stands, fixed ( about 12 kills) and did a lot of stalking (6 kills). The ground blinds have allowed me to get about 34 deer in that manner. They were usually set up near food plots and natural funnels.

Dick

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 12:34:30 pm »
A plastic bucket sprayed camo flipped upside down to set down. Good for carrying urine, grunt calls & such. Setting on a rock ledge looking down a 10 to 15 ft cliff. Bet stand sets up faster tham yours. like as fast as flipping a bucket over.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 07:45:09 pm »
makete I guess I wanted to know which stand has been most succesfull.
D Bernier Wow that is a lot of deer. Are those all bow Kills?  I I have only 3 deer with my longbow now and this will be my first year with a bow I made. I used to hunt on the ground and I really liked it and I saw a lot of deer. Then I got a tree stand and have been using one since but am thinking about going back to it. This will be my 14th straight year hunting with a longbow. 3 deer thats not the best but the last two deer I got in the last two seasons so I am getting better lol. ;D
    --Frank A. Clark

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 06:08:56 pm »
WIBOWYER, not by a long shot. I used a model 94 Winchester, shotgun and a bow starting in 1957 to hunt deer. There were not very many deer in Conn. then so we went to Maine, around the Greenville area of Moosehead. I started using a bow there in 1964, a Bear 65# re curve. Attached is a photo of my Uncle who shot this deer the day after I missed it with a bow shot. Had so much fun been doing it ever since.  ;D

Dick

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Jesse

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 08:22:51 pm »
What a beauty. Sounds like you are a man with a lot of years experience in the woods. You were out bow hunting 17 years before I was born.
                                                                                                                               Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

jamie

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 08:29:47 pm »
i use a stand in the morning till the light comes up. if there is something under me i shoot it if not i get down and still hunt. i go batty sittin in the stand.  :P

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 09:11:11 pm »
I managed about 15 minutes in a 2X4 and plywood stand once.  Then I climbed down and went hunting.  ;) Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 09:30:03 pm »
  Since I started turkey hunting like a fanatic,camoed and sitting still,I started having deer almost step on me.So I figured it would work bowhunting.I fall asleep in trees.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 09:31:42 pm »
I managed about 15 minutes in a 2X4 and plywood stand once.  Then I climbed down and went hunting.  Wink Justin

I'm not even going to touch that one...although I'm tempted... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Dingleberry

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 09:46:46 pm »
I managed about 15 minutes in a 2X4 and plywood stand once.  Then I climbed down and went hunting.  Wink Justin

The first time I read that I had a similar thought. ;D

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 02:56:05 pm »
Spot & Stalk!!! It was good enough for the indains itz good enough for me. Besides thatz real primitive hunting

Offline Jesse

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 09:18:59 pm »
I just cant imagine getting close to deer that way. Where I hunt its all dry leaves and twigs and thick woods. the deer usualy run away if I get within 100 yards. Maybe after a rain. It does sound a lot more fun though.
                                                                     Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark