Author Topic: Hillbilly, this one is for you  (Read 5361 times)

DBernier

Hillbilly, this one is for you
« on: September 28, 2007, 11:26:16 am »
Hillbilly, this morning ( 9:20 AM ) after dropping off my weed trimmer, I was on my way back home. I was about 2 miles NE of the house off of state 49. I looked to my left and saw 4 deer in a field a ways away. I was startled at first. One of them appeared to be an Albino, all white. I always carry a pair of old binoculars in the car with me and sure enough it was all white. I went back to my friends house and asked about it and he said his neighbor had sited it on several occasions. My question is should we hunt it down and cull it from the herd? The location on a map is just not that far from where you hunt, 2 to 3 miles, maybe less.  What is your opinion on it?

Dick

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Hillbilly, this one is for you
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 11:55:18 am »
I don't know. I'd probably be tempted to leave it alone and watch it. I saw two albinos on a farm near you a couple years ago, shot at one, nicked it, and had horrible luck hunting for the next year-just one wierd thing after another :o  A friend of mine  killed one out near you a few years ago, big-bodied but small forkhorn rack. My friend Craig Hall the taxidermist who lives out on Lynch Store gets in quite a few every year from the area. They probably don't live too long in the wild anyway-when your way of life depends on hiding, being white doesn't help. It's quite amazing to see one coming through the woods, especially really early or really late when it's pretty dark. I saw a mostly white one on Seabrook Island near Charleston a couple weeks ago.
PS-made you a couple points, gonna put them in the mail as soon as I get a chance to get to the PO.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 12:20:17 pm »
Hey, I was just wondering about their immune systems. May be an old wife's tale but I heard they are more prone to diseases etc. If they continue to breed that they would weaken the overall heard?
   I sure can empathise with the bad luck deal. Sometimes s--t happens and you just cannot figure it out until you think back and say to your self----"I wonder".
   Hey on the points, wait till you come over. Its only 3 or 4 weeks or so. Your choice.
Dick
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 10:04:50 pm by DBernier »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:00:52 pm »
here in michigan its totally illegal to kill an albino or partially white(piebald) deer.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 10:14:03 am »
It is illegal here in Tn. ALso, al tho I don't know why.They are genetically flawed and need to be got out of the heard. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

jamie

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 12:02:07 pm »
pappy the amount of venison you guys go through im sure it would be all eaten up before anybody realised it was white. ;D