Author Topic: Handle wrappings  (Read 15847 times)

Offline mspink

Handle wrappings
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:22:59 pm »
Hey guys was wondering about you cord handle guys. What kind of cord do u use. Where do u get it? Also what are some other cheap and easy handles you guys use?
Aim small miss small!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Handle wrappings
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:26:09 pm »
I use hemp cord from WalMart. Once I have it wrapped tightly I saturate it with Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone). It makes a weather proof wrap that has good traction, no matter what the weather is.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:16:51 pm »
i'm with pat but i havn't tryed the massey finnish, i just soak it with tb2, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »
I did one handle wrap with clothesline cord.  It had a cotton weave outside with a synthetic cord down the center.  I cut off a long piece and pulled the synthetic out.  Put some stain on the cotton and wrapped the grip with it.  It laid down flat like a ribbon.  If I did that again I'd look for a little smaller diameter cord as it really built up the size of the grip.  I think I borrowed that idea from somebody else on here.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:20:15 pm »
I love hemp!

It makes great wrappings. Soaked in TBIII it is indestructable... Comes in many different collors, and helps hold in heat from your hand when its cold out.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
HA! What I do myself, is take something as simple and easy as a cord wrap, and turn it into something complicated, that takes half a day to do.  ;D I like to make the cord myself (seriously) as I like to use a nicely waxed stiff cord, and wrap it without gluing. The wax makes it able to do that without slipping, you can get a really tight wrap that way. If you just wax normal cord it can cake up, and it just isn't like I like it. I have took them in the rain and never had one come undone. I can always get a good grip too, from the wax, even if it is wet and rainy out side. (Ok, I might be a little OCD about things, I probably don't need to go over board about a string wrapped around a bow, but what can I say.  ::) ) I actually made a little build along a while ago, just to prove how insane I am:

I make the cord like a two bundle bow string, but on a larger scale, so I will have enough cord. (It's basically just a big bowstring, but for some reason I thought a build along was necessary, don't ask me why.) I just need 3 sturdy things to tie the strings to, with one being a bit closer than the other, as the strings shrink when you wrap them (duh). Here I am just using random crap in my yard:

Above, I have 6 lines of thicker cotton thread (or thin yarn) I bought in the yarn section of hobby lobby. After I tie each one, I run them over with beeswax, each gets it run over 3 times.

Then, after they are all waxed, I twist one bundle up and tie the bundle (now a bit shorter) to the 3rd thing I am using to tie the plys/bundles to:

(I tied it to my garbage can here)

Then, I twist the other bundle up in the same direction, I tie it down right next to the other one. Twisting can take a while sometimes:

Then, I cut them, and twist them (reverse wrap) in the opposite direction. Yes, just like making a bowstring, or a reverse wrap cord.

The end result is nice I think, pretty heavy duty and easier to wrap then normal cord:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:05:37 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:45:00 pm »
Here is a small pictorial handle wrap instructional I made. It is pretty crappy, but if you google "knife handle wrap" or "paracord wrap", etc, you can find much better explanations. It is basically a paracord knife handle wrap, made the exact same way:

Here is the handle I did using some of the cord in the above build along:

Another one:

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:45:36 pm »
I struggled a lot initially doing the standard lace-front leather wrap on handles that weren't just straight. I found that it was easier, at least for me, was to use leather lacing (both suede and slick) and wrap the handle. It was easier for me to follow the contours and makes a reasonably nice handle.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:52:41 pm »
I my wraps exactly like TMK's diagrams. To tuck the tail end I make a loop from B-50 or other thin, strong material and wrap the handle wrap material over with the loop end at the bottom. I then tuck the tag from the wrap in the loop and pull it back under the wrap.  I think this is called a nail knot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:53:56 pm »
TMK - that's a really nice looking wrap, well worth the time you put into them in my opinion.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:56:03 pm »
I also use Hemp string but I make it into a cord with a crochet loop. It's basically a square knot. You pull a loop through then pull the loop tight but leave it open. Then put another loop through the loop and pull again and repeat again and again until you have the length you need. It makes a cord but with an interesting pattern. The key is pulling with the same pressure with every loop.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:05:47 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:29 am »
coaster, tmk, those handle wraps are sweet. Tmk, thanks for taking the time to do that build a long.  It is a great method to a great grip wrap.  Now I know what I going to do with that linen string i have.

I did a rawhide lace wrap (pre-cut, 1/8 wide, tandy leather) that I like.  I might refine the process of sealing it next time I try this wrap.  This is actually what I did to this wrap (from memory).  Soaked the lace in warm water spiked with a pinch of hide glue granules for about 5 mi.  I wanted it pliable not stretchy. wrapped over roughed and sized (hide glue) handle. Skive joint in middle to overlap two pieces.  saturated with thin hide glue and allowed to dry, repeat 5x.  sanded down smooth. applying leather dye between sanding. Decorative sinew wrap to transition the edge.   applied home made varnish (turpentine and pitch), about 3x. finish with thin shellac 5x. then the finish over the whole bow goes over the handle too. includes, tung, oil, beeswax, linseed oil.   I guess I am a little ocd too :laugh:

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 08:47:30 am »
toomany, nice pictures. I've used leather strips, lather lace, hemp, nylon, serving thread, Dacron. I do put down glue first...little by little...a few wraps at a time. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 10:38:06 am »
craft store jute saturated in any tb is my preferred cord but I usually sew a piece of leather.

Russ

Offline k-hat

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 10:53:18 am »
I don't have a fave yet, though these are all beautiful and excellent ideas.  lately i've been doing a front-laced leather wrap as has been mentioned, mainly because it is removable.  I just can't bring myself to cover that perty wood with a permanent wrap yet :-\  I'll have to make a few bows for myself and experiment >:D