Author Topic: Reviving buckskin?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline ScottN

Reviving buckskin?
« on: October 17, 2012, 07:14:02 pm »
I have a buckskin that is a couple years old, some small area's of it have became really dry and somewhat brittle.

Is there anyway I can give this part of the leather some life back? or is it gone?

perhaps I can get a big enough piece of leather and sort of "back it" in the area's that it has happened in?
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline aaron

Re: Reviving buckskin?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »
braintan or "regular" leather?
I'm guessing regular- you could just cut out the bad part and patch it.
Or start making braintan- it lasts forever (almost)
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline ScottN

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 10:34:04 pm »
I am not sure what type it is- are you able to tell from these close up's what type it is? This is a before and after of my rough stitch job.

click picture for it to open in a bigger window

...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline aaron

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:06 pm »
oh, it's got the hair on... most likely not braintan. if it's just a "wall hanger" I'd just stitch the tears with a finer thread and call it good. What do you use it for?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 12:16:00 am »
I'm actually trying to think of something to do with it..right now its just sitting. I'd like to have some fun with it! I would like to either turn it into something, or make something out of it.

Currently I'm thinking of adding some straps and turning it into a small cape. It is the perfect size to cover my entire back.

I like how it would look, but im just not sure how practical it would be? perhaps good for a cold night and im around a fire that doesn't have any rear barrier to reflect heat.. ?