Author Topic: black walnut for a bow  (Read 1440 times)

Offline anasazi

black walnut for a bow
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »
Has any one tried using black walnut for bow wood yet? Is the heart wood or sap wood better or a mixture of the two? And do they have to be backed? I am trying to keep all my bows around 50# and have been working on a flat bow and a shortie out of other woods and would like to make something similar to a holmguard some day but i am not sure if a particular style works better with the black walnut either.  What do you guys think

Offline bubby

Re: black walnut for a bow
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:59:21 am »
yeah it will make good bows, their have been a couple posted in just the last feww days, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:24:10 am »
yeah it will make good bows, their have been a couple posted in just the last feww days, Bub

Dont believe him... send all black walnut to me immediately for proper disposal >:D
 Just playing it'll do for a bow... I go for a pyramid style ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline anasazi

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 05:48:57 am »
There is a guy here who is taking out two rather large walnut trees so i guess i will see what i can get

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:56:25 am »
My experience is limited to 3 bows. Two broke, both after taking massive ( in the 4 inch range ) set, the last still shooting, coming in at 15@24 inches. Even it took set to the point of almost being bent enough to not need bracing. I bamboo backed one bit and again, massive set, of course. I even trapped the back. No help. I will NEVER work it again. But I have a friend that does well with it, though he finds he has to rawhide back it to keep em together often times. Good luck, not trying to discourage you, but just saying to maybe help you from making mistakes.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others