Author Topic: Shingles knapping  (Read 3018 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: Shingles knapping
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 09:28:58 pm »
Thanks, but I've had a plans change.  It seems the plan to go up to Oklahoma for the granddaughter's birthday is back on.  Hope the pain pills work.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:20:15 pm »
Nice points George, praying that you get rid of shingles soon.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 12:19:07 am »
Thanks Jimbob.  My plans changed again, the flu broke out at the grandkids school and we stayed home.  Got out and finished the big point.

Punch notched this one and as usual I got one nice thin notch and then got a little greedy and blew one out.  Still, I like the way it turned out.  Then I knocked out another big point.  I punch notched it too as it isn't that thin.

Chickened out when I got into the thicker part of the point.  I took lots of pictures of that one through the thinning process when I stepped it with the bopper and had to recover.  If they're any good I'll post a thread on it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 01:32:31 am »
George, I'm glad to hear you've recuperated enough already to the level of "the honeydew List"

That's an amazing point in fact they're both awesome looking stone. I think you've been holding out on us.

Get well soon and fast . >>>Fred
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 08:26:50 am »
Both of those look great, but I really like how you finished that corner notch. Get in touch with me if you want to trade, but I'll understand if its going to the keeper case.  ::) ;)

Scott

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 11:04:50 am »
Thanks guys.  I haven't been able to do much for so long that as I begin to feel better I really got motivated.  These are the first points in a long time I've slowed down and thought about each strike.  Maybe the pain killer helped with that. ;)  I kind-a wish I'd have corner notched the second point for a small knife.  I think I'm gonna haft it to some cholla I just traded for and make a knife out of it anyway.  At 340 gr it's so big and heavy it'd have to be a spear or atlatl dart point.  Scott, the triangle point ended up 210gr.  Remember, points don't go into cases at my house, they end up in a wind chime. ???  If you want to trade that works for me but I'm good either way. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 12:42:23 pm »
More nice work from Mr. Stonberg.  Those look great G, hope you get to feeling better soon.  dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 11:06:27 pm »
Thanks.  I got out to the shop again tonight.  Took 2 or 3 whacks at an obsidian cobble before I got a nice sized spall.  Sadly, I broke one end of it off and lost a little bit of length.  The point ended up 2 3/8" x 1" and 143gr.  My first punch notching in obsidian.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 01:46:46 am »
nice pc of mahogany, that 'll hunt, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 09:06:46 am »
Bub, it was your point that inspired me to put the glove on and risk blood loss.  Yours is nicer though. ;)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »
mine's just differant george, but thank's for the compliment, i know a lot of guy's dont like working obs, but it was the material of choice among the na's here, hell we live buy a volcano >:D,  Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 07:05:44 pm »
I really struggle with obsidian trying to keep straight edges. You can see it on this point on the base where I rounded both corners even though I wanted them straight.  That's because I chipped one and then went through several iterations of changes before I got them even (more or less). ::)

George
St Paul, TX