Author Topic: abo really is very different than copper  (Read 3548 times)

Offline iowabow

abo really is very different than copper
« on: October 26, 2012, 09:46:52 am »
I have been working abo for close to a year. I really feel like I have overcome addiction abuse feelings I had when I stopped using copper. The biggest difference is mostly pressure flaking work. I work  above the center line and at an angle 90% of the time. I am still learning to thin the biface more effectivly. So I would have to say the bopper work is the hardest to learn. It seems the technique changes as the work becomes more flat and is very difficult to explain. I have almost stopped abrading completly which is really cool because I dont like jumping back all the time. Just thought I would share some thoughts with fellow ABO-ers. Enjoy the pionts.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Sambone

• Sam King
Re: abo really is very different than copper
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:38:55 am »
Very nice looking points. I'm just learning all this and I use ABO tools. My biggest problem is thinning.
" The self is not something ready made, but something in continuous formation through choice of action." (John Dewey)

Peachtree City, Georgia

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:22 am »
great work john. not abrading is definetly a plus. was helping a friend who uses copper and realized how much it sucked to constantly abrade
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:57 am »
Ya thinning with antler is very hard for me. I think real hard before hitting.

Scott if you read this the point to the left on the table is from stone we got in your area.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:47:54 pm »
Nice points.
Rob

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 11:27:00 pm »
Yep, it has a distinctive look, for sure! Nice points, John. I'm not an ABO man yet, but I can appreciate the contrasting styles.

Scott

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 12:04:50 am »
I began this adventure abo. Heck I didn't even know there were others who practiced the trade. I look back at my abo points & find it hard to reproduce them after 7 yrs of copper. You make beautiful points my friend!   Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:14 am »
Really cool stuff John.  I haven't had time to be on line much, or work in the pit, but still love to see all your work and posts.  Those look great, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:46:30 am »
The biggest difference for me is tool breakage with Abo.  Copper is way less maintenance. Also, notching with Abo is difficult and frustrating for me if narrow notches are needed.

Great looking points!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 11:32:45 am »
The tool breakage on the pressure side of the process is definitely hard to get use to. I am now making multiple inserts for the handles so that I don't have to worry about running out. Hey Jackcrafty can you post a picture of your pressure flaker? I have been putting stones in the slot/hole to lift the antler. I was just wondering how you manage the consumption issue. Also I have two different lengths for the ishi stick and the hand held pressure flaker. This way when the ishi insert is too short I move it to the short handle pressure flaker. I can get about 25 points made from each 1.25inch of antler if I reduce well with the antler bopper.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 11:39:05 am »
I've never even held a copper tool before, Ive only ever done 'em abo.  I was always afraid if i used copper, I'd quit using deer antler!  it took me a while to get them thin, but eventually you get a feel for it.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »
OK, here are two of my Abo pressure flakers, moose antler inserts, a stick to drop into the bottom of the hole when the insert wears down, and my favorite type of Abo-tool arrowhead.  Rulers (and my cat) are for scale...  heheh ;D

In these next two pictures, you can see a small piece of buckskin next to the insert.  The buckskin is pushed into the hole at the same time as the insert so that the insert will be held in place snugly.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:30:26 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 06:38:05 pm »
Nice setup jackcrafty i see you have inserts to lift the peg as you go... cool. I will attach a photo when I get home from hunting and if I dont hit one.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 12:59:53 pm »
Just finished the a set of six abo hunting  points for for a guy. Enjoy

Offline Tower

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 02:09:35 pm »
Very nice set of killer points. I really like the one in the upper left. What is the material?
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!