Author Topic: Kansas doe (1st of season)  (Read 6586 times)

Offline jimmy

Kansas doe (1st of season)
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:37:00 am »
I went out Thursday evening (Oct, 27) for the first time this season, and I was blessed with this fine doe.  I took her with my 65 pound osage self bow and cane arrow w/magnus broadhead.  She jumped a fence about 20 yards from my stand by the river and sure enough walked directly in front of me.  I made about an 8 yard shot, if that, then she ran about 60 yards or so and crashed.  Double lung shot.  I got in my stand around 5:30 that evening and by 7:00 had fresh venison.  Congratulations to Danny (Sidewinder) for his kill this morning!  Us Southern Kansans got it hard, nothin' in sight but osage trees and whitetails.

Offline TRACY

Re: Kansas doe (1st of season)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:47:00 am »
Real nice harvest Jimmy!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:15:51 am »
I want everyone to know that Jimmy is the real deal. He is an expert primitive weapons maker, great hunter and a good friend.  He does'nt post his work as often as I would like but his craftsmanship is outstanding. I will tell a little more on my thread about my deer and his help in teaching me to properly skin and butcher the animal but suffice it to say, he is a scholar and gentleman in the best sense of the word.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline lowell

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »
Very nice ....Congrats!!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:47:51 pm »
Outstanding!  Congratulations.  Sometimes those little quickie hunts pay off.  If you are quiet and have a good approach, they can be in your lap in just a few minutes.  Obviously, you did everything just right. Beautiful deer and excellent gear!!  :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 06:35:33 am »
Nice deer. Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:59:56 am »
Very nice Jimmy. Nothing wrong with that, at all! Keep posting!

Scott

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:14 pm »
Mmmmm food! Anyone who says does are so much easier are shooting young does. I've been busted by WAY more does than bucks.

Offline jimmy

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 12:44:36 pm »
I agree.  I have not had a good opportunity at a doe in about 7 years.  They are way too smart, plus I don't feed them.  The guy north of my ground stopped planting crops, so I just try to catch them as they travel along the river.  Bucks during the rut are a lot easier to lure in, but I'll shoot a doe any day if I get the chance.  I rattled a bit the evening I shot this one, and I heard a quiet bleat coming from the orchird where they were hanging out.  I think she was curious and came in for a look (right to my stand).   Thanks for looking fellas.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:09:46 am »
Many years ago my sister lived in Hesston, Kansas for a couple of years. I think I was around 16 when I flew out to visit her. Already had a hunting background at that time. Their next door neighbor was an older gentleman who loved to deer hunt. I was very impressed with the size racks he showed me...he also said he typically hunted along creeks and rivers where there were woods and travel routes for deer. Here in Tenn., we also look for ways to get the deer in close, whether funnels or natural food sources.

Congratulations on a fine doe, taken with special equipment made that way by your own hands! Until this year I've hunted with my selfbows for the past 8-9 years...this year I'm using the first traditional bow I ever used, which I bought I think 27 years ago. That bow led me into eventually making my own bows and being involved with friends who also shared that passion. Guess I'm a little sentimental at times, that bow is like a dear old friend to me now.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...