Author Topic: Newbie needs help  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Winchester

Newbie needs help
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:33:15 am »
Hey all! I am in the middle of making my first bow and need some help (bet you havn't heard that before lol!) I have been getting a lot of help from a gent who suggested this forum, glad he did.
My bow is Oak board 72" and tapered down to 1 1/2" wide where the handle will go. Now I have been doing alot of creeping around the net and have found a number of people use a number of different measurements, especially when it comes to the handle on an Oak board bow. I was going to glue on a 10" long riser but to me that seems very long. 5" long looks about right to me but my opinion has no bearing as I've never done this before lol.

I was going to glue a 10" long 1/2 inch thick Maple riser to the back of the bow and a 2 1/2" Maple riser to the front then carve the handle out. Should I use a riser at the back as well as the front? and is 10" too long? Also wondering when I tiller down the bow do I keep it the same width all the way to the tips? (tips are 1/2") My understanding is that the tips should not bend for the first 1 1/2"? I would like it to be about 50# draw

Offline Winchester

Re: Newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:39:42 am »
Sorry, one more question... when I cut out the arrow notch how far should it be from the dead center of the bow?

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:48:21 pm »
Most board bows have a riser on the belly side only.
your riser length should probably be somewhere between 5 and 10 inches- Your bow is plenty long,, so if the riser is "too long" creating a stiff section , you will still have plenty of wood bending.( This depends somewhat on drawlength- I'm assuming you're drawing to about 28.)

As far as cutting a "notch" for the arrow- I recomend against it. It can create a weak spot, and even if it doesn't, it's permanent. Instead, you could glue on a wedge of leather. this is moveable and is less risky  for a beginner.

not sure what you mean by "Also wondering when I tiller down the bow do I keep it the same width all the way to the tips? (tips are 1/2") " . do you mean "thickness" where you say width?
Yes it's true that the tips do not bend- with your bow, you could make the tips stiff for anywhere from 2 to 4 inches. This kinda happens naturally, you won't have to make those stiff tips any thicker than the bendy portions. Both the width and thickness will taper towards the tips.
good luck!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Winchester

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 12:11:29 pm »
Thanks for your reply aaron. The bow was turning out really nice but when I was finishing it up the backing came off. I had used Gorilla glue, works good till you get out in the cool weather. So I am now starting a self bow, going to use sinew backing with hide glue... I will keep the gorilla glue for summer projects lol

Offline jamesches

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »
i agree with arron, dont cut an arrow rest i ruined my first bows that way :'( :'(