Author Topic: Sinew Backed, Double Curve Bow  (Read 92465 times)

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Sinew Backed, Double Curve Bow
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2008, 02:15:39 pm »
(Deep Breath)......Well guys, looks like this project is another one for the history books.  I broke the bow while exercising it (a couple weeks ago).  :-\ Here are some pics of the break:

I tried to get a close-up of the break area....you can see a small knot in the back....and this, I think, was the cause of the break.
The knot is a bit too large to be on the bow's back (although I hoped that being near the handle wood reduce the risk) and there wasn't enough sinew to strengthen the weak spot.  Combined with the dry air, the bow was probably destined to fail.

I had an antique finish on it and everything!  Oh well.....here's a couple pics in the sunlight....

Well. normally what I do when this happens is pack up everything and move on to the next project.  The following pics show the progress on the arrow and steel arrowhead....

Inserted goose fluffs:

Views of swallowtail nock and rear of fletching (goose wing):

Close-ups of hammered nail for arrowhead (after flattening, I shape the point with a grinder and file):

Close up of tapered wood tip.

I shot the arrow without fletching in order to match it to the bow.....then painted it with red and yellow ochre pigments, and then fletched it. The feathers are not glued down and are bound with sinew and are folded forward at the rear.

OK....I'm going to attempt another build along soon after Christmas.  Same design, same everything except the bow wood will be red oak.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment..... ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:28:00 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline andybutrick

flat tillering v/s pyramid
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2012, 02:49:19 am »
I started out with my first two bows made of hickory, tillering somewhat extremely rounded and high in the center of the belly.  These were short D bows.  I am leaning a little towards flat, but am wandering what the result will be.  Does anyone have any experience with this subject?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Sinew Backed, Double Curve Bow
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2012, 04:55:27 pm »
Keep searching.  There are many posts on D-bows.  Look for "half-eye".

A hickory bow does better with a rounded back and flat belly.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr