Author Topic: Bamboo backed Osage Trilam 6pt  (Read 4092 times)

Offline boughnut

Bamboo backed Osage Trilam 6pt
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:37:40 pm »
Well finally put a decent sized buck on the ground this season.  It has been slow other than 2 does 2 weeks ago shot on my lease with an old bear glass powered bow that mullet traded sent me in a trade.  He was on a hot does trail when he came in the first time about 80 yards off.  could not call him in closer so when he disapeared into the thick brush I inched my way closer as quietly as I could to that same trail where the doe had gone.  I knew he would be back as he was trailing her in the wrong direction.  got to about 15 yards from trail and sure enough here he comes nose to the ground oblivious to me standing in the wide open he cam by me at 15 to 20 yards when I stoped him with a little grunt from my mouth.  I drew shot and the arrow hit great right behind the shoulder high lung came out on the other side about 8 inches back from shoulder.  did not pass through just poked out.  He ran about 20 yards stoped stood there for about 10 seconds then did one of those half circle fall overs kicked a few times and that was it.  Bamboo backed osage trilam 46lb tonkin cane shaft woodsman 3blade broad head self knocked wild turkey feathers.  I have land behind my house and was basically on my way out of the woods when I first saw him to head for work so after he passed I quickly snapped a few photos with my phone and drug him out.  Loaded him up in the back of my suv and headed for work.  Unfortunantly I left my bow and bloddy broken arrow at home.  thinking I could upload pictures from my phone but was unable so I snaped a few more here at work in the back carage where I will be skinning him soon.  Nice 6 pt large brows just a nice 3 1/2 year old probably.  Been seing another nice 6pt in that same spot but is a year younger than this guy but has a bigger rack.  I knew this one was older because he is already starting to blade out in his browtines and beam between his brows and g2's  I know one thing is me and my family are thank full for what god provided me with and even better a very quick clean kill.  Probably weighs in the neighborhood of 160 pounds so we will be filling our dinner plates up with the great meat from him for a while. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bamboo backed Osage Trilam 6pt
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 01:16:59 pm »
Good shootin Matt!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »
Very nice!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:57:55 pm »
Way to go!  Nice shooting.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:06 am »
Nice deer,congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline boughnut

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:54:38 am »
thanks fellas I was very happy to get him even though I have seen bigger 160 pounds provides quiet a bit of meat.  2 or 3 more and we will be stocked up for the year.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:41:06 pm »
I gotta ask Matt. Why the heck do you bring them back home without field dressing them first?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline boughnut

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 06:25:24 pm »
I gotta ask Matt. Why the heck do you bring them back home without field dressing them first?

Its the way I have always done it the way I was raised up on it I guess.  We save hearts and livers I usually feed them to my dogs and also I dont like leaving the remains in the woods to stink up my spot for days or weeks I would rather get it out at home then bury it in the ground so it does not stink. 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:19:03 pm »
Way to go!

I asked the same question to friends in So. LA and they jokingly said that it was disappointing to put them on the scales dressed ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline boughnut

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 11:29:36 am »
haha
Way to go!

I asked the same question to friends in So. LA and they jokingly said that it was disappointing to put them on the scales dressed ;D

Tracy

yea well our deer here are small to but not to small 160 pounds is pretty average for a 2 to 3 year old I have gotten two big boys one was 195 and one was 220 but we have deer from allover here back in the 40s or 50s I think our population of deer in the south east got destroid by plague so they brought in deer from all over here.  I have seen some 5 and 6 year old bucks weighing only 130 to 140 pounds and seen some 2 year olds weighing up to 170 pounds so you just never know.  this one was young but had a big body for age and for ga.  I just perfer not to stink up my hunting areas.  I have many times shot a deer and with in a few hours go getting it out of there been back hunting in that same spot and shot another one.  I perfer not to attract coyotes and other criders that will run deer off to my good hunting spots not to menting the buzzards and the smell alone will run the deer off.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:46 pm »
Very cool. nice deer for sure
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis