Author Topic: Pope & Young Candidate  (Read 4988 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Pope & Young Candidate
« on: September 30, 2007, 03:12:43 pm »

Sorry, you'll have to wait on the pictures for Pappy to post Monday on "Life is Good" (gotta get me a new digital camera one of these days). :)

Yesterday morning Keith, one of my hunting friends and the owner of the farm I frequently hunt on harvested his best buck ever. This is his third year using a hickory bow I gave him, and he has had really good luck with it. He let the first four of a group of five bucks pass by him at 8 yards before arrowing an 11 point.  The other four bucks traveled another 200 yards through the woods before they came up on my stand. They either caught movement on my part, or winded me, as they stopped just out of range and after a minute or so of milling around they circled wide of me. I think it was two 6 pts, an 8 pt, and a big bodied buck with an odd looking rack. Keith latter told me it had a long drop tine coming striaght up between the two main beams.

Keith thought he had hit the buck further back then intended, so he, Anthony and I went and ate breakfast to allow some time to pass before tracking the buck. After about a 4 hour wait, we took up the trail and found the buck had traveled around 300 yards. He had passed right beside the stand I had been hunting that morning. Apparently he had hung back from the other bucks for a while, and came by my stand after I got down. At least that's what we determined, cause although my eyesight isn't what it used to be, I think I could have spotted a potential P&Y buck passing within 10 feet of my stand! ;D

I had got down about 30 minutes after the four bucks came through to check on a doe that strayed a little to close, but with a different end result then Keith had.

I had never seen Keith more excited on finding the deer...and with a stick bow! ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Pope & Young Candidate
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:36:46 pm »
You guys are killin me, few mooooooore days. Good story - congrats Keith!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 08:27:14 pm »
No fair Greg our season opens tommow morning, congrats to keith now we want pictures but of course ya already know that.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 09:01:09 pm »

Best of luck to you both! ;)
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 05:35:39 am »
Sorry forgot my camera,pictures Tuesday morning.Nice deer,probably grossed about 140.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:11:20 am »
See pictures under 2007 pictures... :)
Greg