Author Topic: Angle Guide for Sharpening  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Dictionary

Re: Angle Guide for Sharpening
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 02:26:45 pm »
everytime i sharpen, it pretty much does nothing for my blades.......

Im headed to a woodcraft store today to pick up some stones and see if they have an angle guide.

I need a very coarse stone and a very fine one. Any recommendations?

It really feels awful using dull tools.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JABK

• jacksonabkendrick@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 04:23:01 pm »
Like spyder said, DMT makes good diamond stones.  They have a double sided one with coarse and fine, and that, really, is all a person needs.  I think they sell a little base for the stone as well, or you can make one to hold the operation steady.  The nice thing about them is you can use them without water or oil, but of course it works better with a little lubrication, and it doesn't take near as much work to put an edge on your tools.  The downside to diamond stones is that they grind a lot more metal off the edge if you're not careful.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with logic.  Or a bigger hammer.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »
This one? http://www.amazon.com/DMT-D6FC-6-Inch-Dia-Sharp-Double-Sided/dp/B000GD8WHY

Its a bit expensive.....any alternatives? Ive heard norton makes a good double sided one

Norton makes this double sided one thats in my price range. http://www.amazon.com/Norton-614636855653--8-Inch-Combination-Oilstone/dp/B000XK5ZDY/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1352320355&sr=1-2&keywords=norton+double+sided

But i was thinking that for the fine grit, it should be like 1000grit not 320 grit. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the responses guys. Its really time i learned to sharpen my tools. I dont think i've ever worked with a razor sharp edge before.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 10:08:26 pm »
1000 grit would be classified as super fine. The 320 should work just fine and if you wish to go finer you can purchase quality 400 to 1200 grit sandpaper (3M body shop paper for metal) and run the blade across that taped to your flat surface stone for polishing.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 11:12:55 am »
1000 grit would be classified as super fine. The 320 should work just fine and if you wish to go finer you can purchase quality 400 to 1200 grit sandpaper (3M body shop paper for metal) and run the blade across that taped to your flat surface stone for polishing.

Thanks, i'll go with the Norton.

-JW_Halverson

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 02:03:13 am »
this is the one I was talking about http://www.amazon.com/ADELUXE-Aligner-Deluxe-Knife-Sharpening/dp/B000FKM41S/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1352525166&sr=1-1&keywords=dmt+sharpening+set

Its has the guide you say you need and you can add real fine or cource stones later. plus it packs small. I carry mine in my day backpack.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 11:51:03 pm »
I use a Smith's sharpening system with a diamond and Arkansas stone and guide.  But, I kid you not, my favorite way to sharpen knives once I've set a decent angle is on the edge of my truck window...a close second is the bottom of my coffee cup.  I find the round edges really make things easier.  I follow that up by quickly stropping the blade on my bluejeans/pants after every use.  It's old school, but I keep mine sharp enough to shave the whiskers on my face.  I very rarely send knives I make off that sharp, because it can take a bit of getting used...most folks just aren't accustomed to razor-sharp blades, but they are so much safer in the long run.  :)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17