Author Topic: Hi from the UK  (Read 6274 times)

Offline BillBow

Hi from the UK
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:49:53 am »
Hi from across the pond, I have just got back into Barebow shooting after 60 years in and out of archery since joining a club in UK back in 1952.
I had been shooting the usual kids homemade bow as long as I can remember and of course shooting *Instinctive*, then on joining the club I soon got shooting with a bowsight which was much more accurate but now I realise not as rewarding or relaxing as *Instinctive shooting*.
I have bought a Ash backed English Yew bowstave and am doing some research into what kind of Longbow I want to make.On finding *Primitive Archer* I wondered what are the Pro's and Con's of haveing the top limb longer than the bottom.
Also wondered if there are any more members on this side of the pond.
I really enjoy *Primitive Archer* so glad I found Y'all.

Best regards.

BillBow

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: Hi from the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:53:09 am »
Hi Bill,  there are quite a few of us from the UK on here.  I'm in Surrey, and then there's Mark in Kent, Stan in Surrey, Mike in Keswick, Del in N London et al.  The rest of them can sing out as they feel necessary.

For ELBs, I have placed the centre line (by length) of the bow 1" below the arrow pass / top edge of the handle in the past, and that has given a fair balance in the hand.  So that would be a 4" long handle, 3" below the centre line, and 1" above, with the arrow pass at the top edge of the handle.  The lower limb is therefore shorter, and especially so when the bow is held for shooting.  No doubt others will weigh in here.

Cheers, Bob
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline BillBow

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 12:32:52 pm »
Thanks Bob,
I picked up an old longbow at a carboot (smallish one) an was surprised to see the top limb was 2" longer that the bottom one. Then on Asking Google I found this

http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/gallice/docs/preface.html

and on reading all the pages found that it was the practice to build bows this way (which I had always thought would maybe give a smother release.)
I look forward to spending time on this Website.

Thanks again for your reply. I'm in North Wales and really hoping to meet up with other Primitive Archers.

Cheers.

Bill.

Offline danny f

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:44:07 pm »
hi mate welcome to the forum, im near manchester so probably an hour or so from you. theres some great people and info on here. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:59:58 pm »
Welcome back to the fold!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BillBow

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 06:28:21 am »
hi mate welcome to the forum, im near manchester so probably an hour or so from you. theres some great people and info on here. :)
Hi danny,
Thanks for your welcome, Hope to meet you somewhere sometime soon.

Regards.

Bill.

Offline BillBow

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 06:32:35 am »
Welcome back to the fold!

Hi JW,
Thanks for your welcome, I really had forgotten how good Instinctive shooting felt .

Regards.

Bill.

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »
Hi Bill,

There aren't so many primitive meets here in the UK, but a lot of us shoot in the NFAS (National Field Archery Society) under the primitive class.  We have been very lucky to have a great annual (May) weekend meet for the last two years at Lyne in Surrey run by Wally (also here on PA we from time to time).  Sam Moss did a piece in her blog.  You can see that at:

http://samwisemoss.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/prehistoric-archery-atlatl-societys-first-ever-weekend-comp/

So you could consider the NFAS (Primitive class shooting), the PAAS, and of course the SPTA for shoots and other meet ups through the year.  You may well find the same faces and names coming up..... 8)
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline BillBow

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 04:00:25 pm »
Hi Bill,

Sam Moss did a piece in her blog.  You can see that at:

http://samwisemoss.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/prehistoric-archery-atlatl-societys-first-ever-weekend-comp/

So you could consider the NFAS (Primitive class shooting), the PAAS, and of course the SPTA for shoots and other meet ups through the year.  You may well find the same faces and names coming up..... 8)

Hi Bob,

I had already enjoyed the SamWise Blog (Her name jumped out at me because I am a Big Lord of the Rings fan).
I will look into the NFAS as I feel I must meet up with some *Like minded archers*

Thanks for the info.
ps I love your Bamboo backed Osage bow.

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 04:19:31 pm »
Hi Bill,

Hi Bob,

I had already enjoyed the SamWise Blog (Her name jumped out at me because I am a Big Lord of the Rings fan).
I will look into the NFAS as I feel I must meet up with some *Like minded archers*

Thanks for the info.
ps I love your Bamboo backed Osage bow.

I did a build-along of that bow here on PA a while back.  You can see it at:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,14045.msg195611.html#msg195611

...certainly the fastest performing bow I ever made.  I've had one or two breakages since then, but as the guys on here say "if you aint breaking, you aint making!".   I've got two new backed bows glued up yesterday, during possibly the only dry day for another week.  I'll post them if they stay together  ;)