Author Topic: My first deer with a bow  (Read 25157 times)

Offline Sidewinder

My first deer with a bow
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:50:32 am »
This is a picture of my first deer killed with a bow. In fact it is my first deer killed with anything for that matter. I have only been hunting for 5 yrs. I did'nt get to go much last year and the years prior I had some exciting moments, but he never got a good enough shot opportunity to bring home the meat.  The propoerty owner would not allow a doe to be killed in previous years or I probabley would have made meat sooner, but better late than never I suppose.

The bow is my 60" 52#@27" osage self bow backed with copperhead skins. The doe is a pretty nice one too. We did'nt weigh it but it produced about 55-60lbs of meat so were guessing around 100lbs on the hoof.
 I was hunting from a ground blind I bought after I went hog hunting with George Stoneberg. I am sold on them for sure. I sat there and observed her and another doe for about 5 minutes until she showed me a good quartering away shot at 10yds. The bow limb struck the side of the blind a little bit but the shot was true and ended up being a double lung. She ran about 80yds and stopped and just keeled over. I had some concerns about the bow limb striking the blind as it took some of the heat off the arrow but the shot was well placed and it did not matter. It punched thru both sides but not a complete pass thru due to the reduced arrow speed. I watched her bolt after the shot and could see her the whole way and when she stopped, she just fell over. I could not have been happier.
  I got on the phone and called Jimmy  from here on PA. ( See Kansas doe first of the season) and told him about it and we talked a little about how to skin it and process it. He said he had a funeral to go to but maybe he would come out and see me when he was done. I said cool. About 5 minutes later he called back and said he decided that this was a big deal so he would come out and help guide me in the process. What a guy. He drove 60 miles to my place and we did the whole thing together from skinning to processing to vacume sealing in about 4 hrs.  Then we had a good time shooting our little stuffed animal course. Its a poor mans 3d so to speak. We had a really good time and I am forever in his debt for that education.
  I am freezing the hide for tanning later and we will be feasting on tenderloins and some of the back strap  over the open fire tonight when I get off work so it should be good eats.  Nuff said, heres the picture of the doe.
  thanks for looking,   Danny

"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline hedgeapple

Re: My first deer with a bow
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 11:03:43 am »
congradulation on your first.  Way to stick with it.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 11:18:21 am »
Thanks Dave. What else am I supposed to do. They are all over the place,lol. like rubbing it in my face whenever i don't have a bow in hand and a tag in my pocket. I would like to put one more in the freezer, only this time I want to harvest a nice buck if I can.  We shall see.   Danny

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 11:24:57 am »
Congratulations!  That has to be an amazing feeling of accomplishment, especially in our society of instant gratification.  You stuck with it and did what you set out to do.  Sharing it with a friend makes it even more special.

Offline chief deer

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:43:27 am »
Nice Job Danny. Enjoyed reading the story too. Mike Smyth

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:24:47 pm »
Good shooting!  Great story telling too. There are quite a few hogs at the lease now that it's deer season. I'm sure sorry we didn't see them when you were down.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline jimmy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 12:40:13 pm »
You the man, Dan.  What a beautiful weekend.  I'll be expecting another phone call before the fall gives way to winter.  If we don't clean another deer, we'll just go out and shoot elmo and bugs bunny (what's left of him).  Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad to help when someone wants to learn.  (Mary Rico rest in peace.)

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 12:54:43 pm »
Thanks Adam it is very satisfying and obviously making your own self bows teaches persiverance does'nt it?

Thanks Mike and Linda and I still want to have you and your wife come see us for a nice little cook out and maybe I'm ready to have you teach me how to knap my own points. PM me if you want to set something up befor eit gets tooooo cold.

Thanks George I really appreciated your hospitality and yeah its too bad we did'nt see anything but it was still fun being with you and seeing some different country. Hope you score yourself.

No Jimmy YOU are the man.  You've been doing it for a while now and I'm still just a novice. I really appreciate your friendship and comradery. I will call you again when and if I am fortunate enough to get another good shot opportunity.

Offline lowell

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:01:08 pm »
Fine deer and and with nice gear....congrats!!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15:58 pm »
Way to go Danny! First one double lung, heck of a job!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 11:36:05 pm »
Book-em, Dan-O! 

Where did you find the osage?  hehehe  >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 11:41:25 pm »
Nice going Danny, congrats and enjoy those fire roasted backstraps.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Ranger B

• Jimmy's Website
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:11 pm »
Great work. Congrats.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 12:09:24 am »
Well done! There's no time like the first time.
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 12:13:49 am »
Well done! There's no time like the first time.

You'd know, Victor! 

There have been quite a few first deer with primitive this year.  Yup.  Good year. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.