Author Topic: Sycamore???  (Read 7536 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Sycamore???
« on: September 30, 2007, 11:15:10 pm »
Power Co. just cut down a 100 yr. old sycamore at my parents cuz it got hit by lightning and they thought it might fall on their power lines. They cut it in 8' lengths and its a good 2' across.....Is this considered good bow wood? Dont recall anyone here talkin bout it......Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Sycamore???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:06:51 am »
I'm curious too Brian - but think I already know the answer. Seems to me Sycamore is going to be too soft and brittle.
  For some crazy reason I cut a small log of Mimosa ;D, my stave collection wasn't real healthy at the time - that thing has 1" rings, weird. Anybody ever heard of Chittum???
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:16:37 am »
            ........Nope Paul, sycamore is called american planetree(Platanus occidentalis). Only had a stave of it once . Nope, wood is hard, heavy an course grained  but flexibility is a bit less than other woods. Btw it is used almost exclusively fer wooden butcher blocks. HUGE tree. can grow to 175'  high. :o Even leaves are HUGE ! Brian, I would use it ifn I could get it, only grows in northwest fla here. The one bow I built outta it was a winner ;)............................bob

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:22:23 am »
So, whens the stave splitting party?
laugh. its good for ya

Minuteman

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:30:28 am »
Not personal experience but I've been told by responsible folks that sycamore has a tough interlocking grain that makes it difficult to split. Kinda like elm I guess. I believe the SG was somewhere near maple's as far as that goes.
 I'd give it a try Brian, of course splitting a 24" log of that stuff, if it does have interlocking grain ,may be an all day affair!
 Chris

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:02:06 am »
Hmmm. Well I'll be durned, whod'a thunk it? OK - sycamore's look out ;D. Good luck on the splittin Brian - picture's?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:21:12 am »
Never tried a bow from it ,but have tried splitting it for fire wood and lost 3 wedges.It is
tough to split. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:35:30 am »
I've never tried it but a big limb blew out of our tree and as I was cleaning it up I was also thinking of the possibilities.  As I cut and pulled on the branches it seemed like they broke very easy and I gave up the idea of ever using it for a bow.

Maybe I should change my mind??
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:27:33 pm »
Sycamore is murder to split firewood length, I'd hate to even try splitting a bow stave length log, especially one two feet in diamater.  :o

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline richpierce

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 01:33:18 pm »
It does break easy, limbs fall off all the time.  It is lighter in weight than other white woods commonly used for bows.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007, 02:27:50 pm »
Some indian bows of sycamore have been found in caves in the southwest US, from the first millenium AD.   Arid places where wood in general is scarce.  I suppose that means it put some meat on the table.

Dave

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 08:14:29 pm »
I made one last century, and it shot quite well until it blew, but that was after a few years of serious abuse (60" bow 30"+ draw)..The branch I used was probably .45 sg so its light by our standards, and I'm sure its stronger in compression. If I had another good stave I would make it long for the draw weight and maybe back it depending on how the back looks...

It's a beautiful wood and I will make another in the future when I get a piece..Something like a 70"+ 35-45# target bow perhaps with a thin bamboo backing. It's more of a wood to show your "expertise" with as opposed to make a wicked hunting bow from.

Ya like mentioned, I split this piece with  the chainsaw :D

Rich

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 08:15:31 pm »
Thanks fer the info folks, we are gonna take it to the Amish sawmill and I will get the trim off peices they cut to make it square ;), hopefully save me and Auggie some backache.....got 3 logs from it...all that big!! Now,...how do we get em on the trailer? :o.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 08:57:57 pm »
  I read somewhere that the NA's used it for dugouts but not for bows.Hey bob,NW Fla,? Did you miss the 4, 60 footer's across the street from my house?  ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 10:13:51 pm »
         Range goes down ta northwest florida Eddie. Its a common dooryard tree. No I didnt miss those across the street from you but cuttin in foks yards kinna makes them pissed . Hmm, wonder why ? ;D....bob