Offline Newindian

Re: Dacron
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 07:24:38 pm »
Would probably use ff if I wasn't poor
I like free stuff.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 10:15:02 pm »
I use FF and i recommend it. The bowyers that I have learned from, John Strunk and Gordon, both use it exclusively so I started out with it and never looked back. I often use overlays but not entirely. I have a yew bow and a hickory bow with self nocks and neither have shown any signs of distress with the FF.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 06:16:53 am »
I also switched from B50 to FF. In some cases, especially with lower dense wood, no good results (damaged bows). So one day I found BCY425X, and IMO this is a very good material with no creep and a bit of stretch witch is essential for primitve bows. Now I make all my strings with this material, strengthen it up at the ears with some short additional B50 leftovers. My strings are very thin, for example only 1,3 mm for a 70# bow, using2 x 6 strands.
this thin strings have two effects: first mass is low (increasing speed) and second the string can stretch a little (not possible with thick strings).

There are alot of differnt FF out on the market, I'm interested what you guys are using ...

simson
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 01:50:23 pm »
TS1 for me.

Offline Bowman

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 02:33:53 pm »
I use b-50  on normal target bows. Up to 60-70#. On English warbows and flightbows I prefer FF or "dynaflight"  On a heavy warbow the B-50 is gonna be too thick. FF "kevlar" is more safe and make a heavy bow more comfortable, because the string is thinner. On flight bows you got som extra yards, metres, feet..............with FF. Maybee you win the competition.  ;D On normal target bows, B-50 is good enough. Thats my opinion. .-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 08:25:27 pm »
I have been using B-50 and don't have anything bad to say about it.  I have nothing against trying FF, I just am cheap by nature and it doesn't look like these two spools that I bought a couple years ago will ever run out.  Whatever you decide, learn to make your own strings.  It will save you lots of money over buying bowstrings.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi