Author Topic: sudbury stone tooled  (Read 9784 times)

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
sudbury stone tooled
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:40 am »
been a long time since ive done a bow. 65"ntn, 52#@26". all stone tools and antler wedges to build. cut it down with a piece of schist that was on the ground. it was a 3 1/2" hickory sapling. tiller aint the best . i like a little more bend in the tips. however it spits an arrow equal to my glass bows or better. started it last spring and have just been poking at it when i had time.roughly 80 hrs of work for this one. grip area sucked to do with stone tools but i wanted to do a sudbury design rather than the typical eastern woodland bows i have done before. dacron string at the moment. had a dogbane string but it let go after a dozen or so shots. it will be getting a sinew string. coloration on back is grass stain . i just rubbed grass into the back and let it brown up in the sun. took 3/4" of set

"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline gstoneberg

Re: sudbury stone tooled
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:14:52 am »
Impressive work.  I think the tiller looks fine.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:26:20 am »
  One of my favorite designs.  Tiller looks good to me.  Nice work.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:38:09 am »
Nice work.
Doing a bow with stone tools is there on my 'to do' list... mind someone has written 'put up shelves for Mrs Cat'  waaay above it >:(  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sharpend60

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:05:10 pm »
I like everything in this post!

I think the bow is lovely and it being done the hard way is also way cool.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 12:12:25 pm »
Sweet ...I still haven't done a stone tool bow...maybe next spring.. I'd use an elm,ash,or hackberry sapling as its a lil easier to work with tool wise. Hickory can be tough with stone,as I'm sure you found out ;)

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:46 pm »
I think the tiller is spot on too. Nice work
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline jamie

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:38:16 pm »
thanks guys. black hawk. ive done a dozen or so abo bows. elm is by far the toughest to work. eastern cedar would be next. not because of the wood . the knots in it are very difficult to work. ash definitely being the easiest. i do my best to have the limbs thinned down to a floor tiller when the wood is still green. the difficulty with this bow was the grip. the buchanan dips are tough with rocks. also it did twist a bit in the grip area while drying. all the other bows i did were just simple d bows that worked through the handle. definitely the way to go with stone tools. one tip for anybody wanting to try this. a little trick i learned while building theses bows, cut through one side of the sapling first, then bend the tree. it will start a split that can be used to pry it in two with the antler wedges.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 01:26:32 pm »
Very nice. I personally like that kind of tiller since it allows for narrow tips. The stain is awesome too! sounds alot easier than waiting for stains to dry for days. I'm gonna have to try that!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:03:53 pm »
Very impressive!
Top marks for using stone tools.
There is nothing wrong with the tiller of that bow.
Great.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »
That is very impressive. Nice work, I'd love to see how you do this. You should be mighty proud of this bow. 
Don't shoot!

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 03:49:24 pm »
thanks guys. black hawk. ive done a dozen or so abo bows. elm is by far the toughest to work. eastern cedar would be next. not because of the wood . the knots in it are very difficult to work. ash definitely being the easiest. i do my best to have the limbs thinned down to a floor tiller when the wood is still green. the difficulty with this bow was the grip. the buchanan dips are tough with rocks. also it did twist a bit in the grip area while drying. all the other bows i did were just simple d bows that worked through the handle. definitely the way to go with stone tools. one tip for anybody wanting to try this. a little trick i learned while building theses bows, cut through one side of the sapling first, then bend the tree. it will start a split that can be used to pry it in two with the antler wedges.

Thanks for sharing your experiences..ill prob change n try ash first over elm...did you temper it over coals? I'd prob go that route with mine. Hmmm..now to go make my hands bleed n make some stone tools this winter..lol.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 03:55:20 pm »
Now thats a bow to be proud of, not a lot of people could pull that off and make it look that good. Great bow.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 03:59:42 pm »
stunning workmanship!
Nice bow! Congrats

simson
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline jamie

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 04:02:49 pm »
Thanks again gents. Blackhawk seeing how long I took to do this there was no need to temper. Spent most of its life leaning near the woodstove too. :) a primitive bow made green can be made in a week if you work it daily and then dry it a bit over a fire though.

waterbury, ct