Author Topic: Two New Knives  (Read 1682 times)

Offline 4est Trekker

Two New Knives
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:44 pm »
I finished these two in the last couple of days.  The first is of 1080 steel forged from 1/4" x 1" flat stock.  It's 7" oal with a 3.5" blade, 1/8" spine, and a cord wrapped handle made from a thinner variety of 200 lb. test utility cord I use for ultralight backpacking.  It's flat ground for nearly all of the width of the blade, then rounds over slightly the last 3/16" of so into the final edge.  I forged a Keesler-style finger guard and etched the whole shootin' match in saltwater.  Nothing fancy, but it will get a wet-molded side draw sheath soon.

The second is a tiny, goofy-looking little 1080 blade that is only 2.5" in oal.  A buddy wanted it for bird hunting.  He's never acquired the knack for opening them up and cleaning them without a knife, so he asked for something that he could just start a small incision with to get things going.  It works nicely, he says, as his index finger acts as a guide to keep it from penetrating too far.  It's got a little Kydex sheath with a breakaway connector for safety.  The scales are zebrawood attached with copper tubing and a small brass pin inserted in the tube, piened, and filed flush up front.

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline bubby

Re: Two New Knives
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:24:40 am »
really nice 4est, and your pics are allways top notch as well, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tortoise

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:07:52 am »
What do you use as an anvil? I need one :P
-Peter
Arizona

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:22:26 am »
Thanks, fellas.  I appreciate the kind words.  Tortoise, I started with a small chunk of railroad track turned on it's end to give me more weight underneath the blow.  You really only use a small part of the flat on an anvil for a good deal of forging...the "sweet spot," if you will.  Generally, though, it's a pain to work on such a small "anvil," and the steel is generally too soft for longevity.  Now I use, well, and anvil! Check out older folks flower beds...at least around here, they seem to love using them as floral decorations!  I kid you not, there's some gold to be found in the dirt!  :)
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 12:18:34 am »
Very nice  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:57:08 am »
Man you make some beautiful knives,love them both. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:02:04 pm »
Damn that's cool man.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson