Author Topic: Who sent me a bow?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Who sent me a bow?
« on: November 09, 2012, 02:33:08 pm »
I just got a call this morning that I had a package waiting at my old address.  I ran over and found a wonderful package with an insanely cool bow in it!  I don't know what kind of wood it may be exactly of the stain, but it's got me excited. 

It was shipped from Prairie Grove, Arkansas in August of this year and I am afraid the shipper either believes the package was lost or that I am really an ungrateful somethin' in the ditch.  I'd post the person's name, but all I have is his actual name and I cannot figure out his username.  I'm uncomfortable posting someone's identity without their express permission first.  Apparently I had goaded this person into doing a short bend-thru-the-handle bow instead of just cutting it for a billet.  He rose to the challenge and triumphed!  And then, he promptly packaged it up and sent it to my old address where it's been "resting" for several months. 

I'm on the way home to get pics.  You people are gonna love this bow, I know I do! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Who sent me a bow?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:35:12 pm »
UPDATE!

On the bow there is a word written..."Froggy".  So I used the search engine and found this thread:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,33965.msg447872.html#msg447872

I found a winner!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »
Cant wait to see some pics! post em as soon as you can!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 02:37:40 pm »
That's a pretty cool story!

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 04:25:36 pm »
JW, I notice you come from the Black Hills, I heard that there are fossilised trees up there that are hundred yards accross, is this true ? Or more likely an exagerated  rumour? Sorry to hijack the thread, I couldnt resist a spontaneos question......wood-bows ,its kinda connected.

Oh and good story.....nice suprise
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »
Sorry, no fossilized trees in the Black Hills.  All that stuff eroded away millions of years ago.  However there are many fosillized trees in the Badlands (think of the landscape shots in the movie Starship Troopers filmed here in the Badlands). 

Nothing near 5 ft across, much less a hundred. 

And yeah, really nice surprise.  JonW makes a first rate bow even when he has a second rate piece of osage to work with!

Once again I am deeply impressed with the quality of the people that share this forum.  Granted, there has been a rash of bows sent to unsuspecting recipients lately, but this is not all that unusual for these folks.  The generosity in sharing knowledge is equaled with how people here share their resulting craftsmanship.  I am honored with Jon's bow.  Again, thanks JonW! 

Offline JonW

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:58:59 pm »
A guy can only hang so many bows on the wall JW :D My wife says I always have to say "I told you so" and that may have been some of my motivation in making that bow. I appreciate your grattitude.

Jon W.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 09:18:35 pm »
Simply awesome!

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »
Ok, first off, THAT'S AWESOME!!

Now JohnW how long have you been biting your tongue and wondering either,
A: Jdub is a real jerk to say nothing. Or
B: so whose address did I have, then?!?

Musta felt mighty nice to finally be able to break silence! Great story!

Scott

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 01:28:53 am »
So where's the pics John?  >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »
Sorry, yesterday I had an all day program with the birds out of town, today it is about 15 degrees outside and miserable!  It's supposed to warm up later in the week and melt off the snow.

I did string it this morning and tried pulling it.  Lemme warn you all right now.  There will be NO FULL DRAW PICS of this bow for some time to come.  I'm too much of a weenie to pull it!  On the other hand, I am making plans to really start putting in seriously for elk archery tags!  This little sucker would send a heavy hickory shaft thru a 5" ponderosa pine tree and still get both lungs on a bull elk!

Offline JonW

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 09:01:56 am »
Come on JW! Not even with both feet and hands?  >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 10:12:52 pm »
I got it strung again today, after three attempts.  I hat to take three aspirin and go lay down for a kip. 

I'm going to put this sucker on the scale and check it out.  It seems inordinately stiff for the claim of 70#.  I might need to go get some Geritol, too.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 10:17:37 pm »
Where are the pictures???  :)
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 08:34:22 am »
JW you posted the link to my build right? I can prove with pictures it can be pulled :D  Now go hit the weights and give us a full draw shot!! Seriously though, I'm sorry you're having trouble pulling it. It won't hurt my feelings a bit if you tame it down some.