Author Topic: Black Hills Beauty Contest Winner  (Read 26969 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Black Hills Beauty Contest Winner
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:04:59 pm »
This buck was taken by the man that mentored me thru my first bows and my first big game hunting.  The bow is osage orange with a knot clean thru the lower limb.  I've shot this bow and she draws sweet and fine.  It shows what happens to lemon yellow osage that gets carried in the field and exposed to plenty of fresh air and sunshine.  Barry has long been frustrated by not being able to connect with a big Black Hills buck, but this year broke the spell. 

The buck was following a doe with his nose curled up and tongue flicking in and out.  The buck stopped, humped up, and peed down his back legs over a scraped patch of earth just before he got arrowed at an unthinkable 8 YARDS.  I know, I know, I've lectured him a thousand times to stop taking chances on these long shots.  Apparently this time he got lucky and it worked.  The buck went no more than 65-70 yds before going down. 

Just look at the girth on that neck!  Rut city!

Still has the arrow in the entrance wound.  For those of you new to hunting, remember this spot!  The buck was quartering away, so the arrow traversed diagonally forward taking out both lungs.  Shot from the ground, too. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gordon

Re: Black Hills Beauty Contest Winner
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 05:16:38 pm »
Wow, it just doesn't get any better than that. That is a truly fine animal.
Gordon

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:35 pm »
Wait, I'm confused.  How in the world did he get any deer, much less an exceptional buck like that, without the newest HD camo and a 700 fps wheelie bow?  The TV tells me that is impossible. ;). Seriously though, that's one heck of a deer and I'm sure he's very proud.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:24:46 pm »
that's a beast!! i had a chance at one almost that big once this year and as usual i blew the shot, but an awsome experiance none the less, so far i've blown every chance i've had at big muleys but someday...
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:49:45 pm »
What an amazing animal, what type of deer is he??? I really like the colour you bow haz turned out.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 04:41:55 am »
A comment on the cammo.... I thought any color was fine so long as its NOT blue as thats the only color deer can see? was he in a ground blind? How did he get a full draw on a deer at that range? Oh, and HOLY CRAP what a deer! Im gonna have dreams tonight man lemme tell ya...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
really nice deer JW. Thats what I'm talking about. Can't hardly beat that quartering away shot.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:27 am »
What a brute! I can only imagine what that would feel like to walk up to a monster that you put on the ground with self made equipment. That osage looks like it's seen a few days in the bush before.

BTW, sometimes you'll here about hunters being caught off-guard with their pants down having a piddle, but I think that's the first time I've heard of a buck being caught mid-stream! :)  Poor guy can't even have a wizz in peace  ;)

Offline DQ

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 12:13:55 pm »
WOW!  Awesome animal.  The perfect and well deserved end of a great hunting experience.  Sweeet!

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:29:08 pm »
Outstanding! I like seeing all the selfbow kills this season.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 03:51:27 pm »
Dang nice looking Muley, Congrats!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »
Congrats on that brute, nice buck, nice bow and nice shooting! :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 02:05:52 pm »
Great buck with a great looking bow. Sweet  :)
Steve Bennett

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 07:08:57 pm »
Wait, I'm confused.  How in the world did he get any deer, much less an exceptional buck like that, without the newest HD camo and a 700 fps wheelie bow?  The TV tells me that is impossible. ;). Seriously though, that's one heck of a deer and I'm sure he's very proud.

The arrow bounced off the deer, the deer panicked and died of a heart attack.  We all know primitive archery doesn't work!

Davz...note the pattern of the antlers are to split and then split again...that's indicative of mule deer.  A white tail has a main beam that then has individual tines rising off that main beam.

Sleek, fulldraw on a deer that is totally got his nose up a doe's backside isn't all that hard.  Especially if the doe is one fairly accustomed to seeing people. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 12:29:33 am »
Awesome buck.  I'm gonna have to make a trip out west one of these days and get a look at one of those!!  That was a perfect hit.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi