Author Topic: New to Primitive Archer  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Forresterwoods

New to Primitive Archer
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:07:18 pm »
 :) Just wanted to intoduce myself.  My name is kevin Forrester and I've been a member for a few weeks and will be placing an ad for custom arrows in the winter issue.
 I started using a longbow in the early 1980's after starting off with a compound. I found that as I got better with the compound, I no longer needed sites, balancers, etc...and eventually 'graduated' to the longbow.  The past 10 years I got more into my career and less into my family, hobbies, interests.  After several 'play' related injuries made more frequent by mid life, I had more time for play, family, and hobbies...which included making my own arrows.  One of my first learning experiences with arrow making was NEVER turn your back on an operating table saw. Yes my fist went right into the new, sharp, and very fast moving blade. I was lucky as my large ring deflected some of the blade path and still have 50% use of my right hand. I now have safety measures in place...and even more interst than ever in making arrows. I'm making heavier hunting shafts out of eastern maple, ash, mahogany, teak, leopardwood, and Brazilian cherry. These spine from 50 to 130 lbs...and weigh from 400 to 850 grains. (I'm using 5/16 maple on my 60 lb longbow for targets and they are strong as nails).  Anyway sorry about the long winded intro...hope to see some of you folks down the road some day.
  Kevin Forrester..."If God had meant us to use fiberglass bows, He would have made fiberglass trees"

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: New to Primitive Archer
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:57:05 pm »
Osage trees are close enough to effing-glass for me!

Nice to have you on board!  Post some pics of your arrows. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:35:37 am »
Welcome to PA Kevin. Seems some of us have to learn the hard way sometimes, and machinery can be a hard teacher. Look forward to seeing some of your work in the future.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 12:59:09 am »
If at first you don't succeed, then parachutes and powertools maybe ain't for you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:48:30 am »
Welcome Kevin,think you will like it here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good