Author Topic: Congratulations to Beadman for winning September Backed BOM!!!  (Read 5640 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Beadman for winning September Backed BOM!!!
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:49:50 pm »
Congratulations to Beadman for winning September backed BOM!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35045.0.html

hickory/horn/sinew

Here is what Beadman had to say about his bow: Well its shot in and ready for hunting season. Made this one lately and I guess you could call it a complex composite semi recurve. It's a hickory bow from a stave pulling 58#@28.  It's 58 3/4 n.t.n. It shoots smooth,sweet, and hits where I'm looking. Took a bit longer than the usual self bow but shoots good and I'm enjoying it. It's 1 3/8 at the fades tapering to 1 3/16 then quickly to 3/4 then to 7/16 wide tips. Kind of an exotic thing. Hickory is from Iowa, snake is from Missouri the gemsbok horn from Africa, the black silk warp from Japan. Fun making these from mother natures warehouse of replenishable materials.

Hello all.I decided to make a bow with a high enough percentage of composite materials to give the bow more durability with a profile that would enhance performance.I've seen Asiatic bows be very reseilant after being strung for long periods of time.My percentages would be scaled down a bit compared to the Asiatic bows.Asiatic bows are generally made 33%,33%,33%.My thought for this bow was 20%,60%,20%.More time in construction but I was up for the challenge.
Wood of choice was hickory.I have a lot of it around me.A stave that I tillered a 25#@28" bow from.Composites of choice were gemsbok horn,deer leg sinew,and something a little different backstrap from a beef.After bending my recurves in and glueing my horn and sinew on I waited 2 months.The long string told me I had a 75# bow in my hands.Mass weight was 22.00 ounces with a reflex of 7and3/8".My mission was on track.After tillering it to 58#@28" mass weight was 18.75 ounces with a resting reflex of 4and1/2".After shooting a couple hundred arrows,it shot smooth,sweet,quiet,and hit where I was looking.I noticed after unbracing the arrow was getting 3and1/2" reflex to it.It shot a standard weight arrow with 4" fletching in the low to mid 170s with a standard weight string.Not excellent but good anyway.It really by rights probably should be drawn to 29".The composite materials are doing at least 70% of the tension and compression work.The overall stats are 58and3/4"ntn 1and3/8" wide at the fades tapering to 1and3/16" then quickly down to 3/4" then to 7/16" wide tips.I finished it with some light brown dye,bullet shaped horn overlays on the tips and belly of the handle,a water snake skin,black silk wraps,and a blackish leather wrap handle.I gave it a lacquer finish for a sealant.It probably could be made in a shorter amount of time,but I decided to error on the side of caution,and yes I would make another one.Time will tell if it shows to be more durable.Hunting season is right around the corner.Inspiration to do this came from the profile and process of the sinew backed birch bow Marc St.Louis showed in the Apr./May issue 2012 of the Primitive Archer.I gotta thank John Bybee[iowabo] for helping me post this bow since I'm not quite up to date with the technology of a digital phone camera.Hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Here are what some forum members had to say about: You know I've been waiting to see this one thru our pm'ing....and boy was it worth the wait.

That thing is sexy as females curves from every angle   

Thanks for posting it     Blackhawk

Beadman, great bow!  ...... love that quiver too. Good luck this hunting season, you definitely got the bow to get the job done.
Greg

I think those are the sexiest photos ever taken! Amazing amazing bow and I got to shoot it this afternoon. This bow is smooth shooting. Once I matched an arrow to the bow it was bullseye time.  Great job Ed remember me in your will haha.  iowabow

Very nice Ed.  You did a great job with it.  Marc St Louis

Excellent...and sexy!    Pat B

I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

Re: Congratulations to Beadman for winning September Backed BOM!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:36 pm »
FINALLY FINALLY  Congratulations to Beadman with his first post and first BOM win!!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 04:57:29 pm »
As always George and Cameroo did an excellent job.  Without those two gentlemen there would not be a BOM.. Interesting how it all works out.  Ya'll send me the links to your bow, I collect them and send them to George in Dallas, TX.  I live in Stephenville, TX.  I then put it together after George does his magic.  Then there is a winner at which time Cameroo up in the North Country (Canada) pours pixie dust allover the pics and sends them back.. I then email that to Ed in Wyoming..... 

Cipriano

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:20:23 pm »
Congratulations Beadman, That is a very impressive bow. Love the profile and shape of that one

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:36:15 am »
Beautiful bow and well deserved win.Nice work. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Will H

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:47:31 am »
Very nice! Congrats!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:11:59 am »
Thanks all fellas.Means a lot to me because of the hundreds and hundreds of bows you guys have made or assisted in making.Been a huntin here with the bow.Got some nice bucks roving around here but settled for a doe.Now the real hunting starts.To be in the right place at the right time for the big boy.I've been bow hunting for a shade over three years.Only thing I've shot are self bows.The variety of designs and woods being endless is what I really like.
Thanks a lot to you too Cip,George,and Cameroo.Might seem a thankless job you do but I appreciate it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 01:59:35 pm »
Congratulations Ed!  That is a right smart piece of work my friend!  Very well done Sir!  Josh

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:03 pm »
Congratulations on a spectacular bow!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »
Thanks Gun Doc & Dvshunter.I'm still playing catch up to you guys but I'll keep plugging along here.Got some rock maple now soI know most of you guys have done sinew backed bows before.Now this one seems to pull just a little more weight in the colder weather like below 30 F.Kind of reminds me of pulling on a big rubber band.....LOL.No stack just more poundage.....LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed