Author Topic: Hickory staves  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Newbreedarcher

Hickory staves
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:48 am »
Hey everyone, I have about twelve 8' hickory staves that have been seasoning for over a year. They are kept in a dry garage have been since they were cut and split. I am having trouble with moisture in these staves,though. I made a 70" flat bow 2weeks ago from one of these staves and the thing wa so heavy with moisture I couldn't stand it! Is there any trick to handling/storin hickory to fix this issue? Thanks everyone!

Offline steve b.

Re: Hickory staves
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:47:10 am »
Some guys have boxes with heaters and fans inside to dry their wood.  I work the stave till its string-ready, over time, and put the stave in front of the blowing wood stove and dry it each day I can.  I also have a long tube that I put wood in and have a sacrificial hair dryer set on low blowing through it.  I think the key to drying wood is the moving air.

I'm thinking about a bow display case that is, in effect, a humidor of sorts that keeps all my finished bows, and maybe future staves, drying all the time.......?

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 01:20:45 pm »
If nothing else i'd move them inside a few weeks before starting tiller.  That oughta give time enough for mc to drop to acceptable levels.  Had a similar problem this summer with garage-kept staves.  Lesson learned!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 01:27:51 pm »
If it is warm and sunny you can put them in a car to help dry them out. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:44 pm »
Some guys have boxes with heaters and fans inside to dry their wood.  I work the stave till its string-ready, over time, and put the stave in front of the blowing wood stove and dry it each day I can.  I also have a long tube that I put wood in and have a sacrificial hair dryer set on low blowing through it.  I think the key to drying wood is the moving air.

I'm thinking about a bow display case that is, in effect, a humidor of sorts that keeps all my finished bows, and maybe future staves, drying all the time.......?

I been rackin' my brain on that very issue. I store even my finished bows in my hot box. Hickory loves moisture I've learned.
I been wantin' to come up with a really nice display case that would double as humidor.  If you have any ideas please let me know.
John

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:44:46 pm »
The 1 year per inch of wood for drying definitely applies to Hickory It sucks it up like a sponge but don't let the moisture go very well... So if you have them work to down to a2 by 2 for Example you would have 1 more year yet to go Unless You bring it down closer to Finished dimensions
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 12:55:00 am »
I have had a roughed out hickory bow under my bed for 2 years now.  I think I wrote the weight on it when I put it under there.  If I can remember tomorrow, I'll get it out and check it to see how much it dropped.  I wouldn't be suprised if it was still holding onto some moisture.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »
Bring the roughed out bow in like was said for at least 3 weeks before working on it.I have a place in the house I run a dehumidifier with a fan on top of that that blows over the roughed out bow[40% at 80 to 85 F will put you where you need to be].Put your staves there too for that matter.I put an analog humidity and temperature guage there too.I then refer to the TBB4 book chapter on bow wood to see what the moisture of the wood will be.I don't own a moisture meter guage.With hickory there is a big difference between 7% and 10% in taking set while tillering.Writing the weight on it and checking it is a must also.It might seem like a lot of work but it is'nt really.Hickory is top shelf bow wood.Rough out a bunch of it and you'll have a bow ready to tiller at your leisure.I may have repeated a bunch of what other fellas have said but this is just my way.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys! I have access to a climate control garage that is kept at 72 all year round and completely bone dry. I think I will store them there, as my wife will flip if I bring staves in the hiuse :'(

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 01:46:39 pm »
I stopped using hickory as its just not a good wood to be used on this part of the country without added "maintenance".

I dont like going extra lengths to ensure it stays dry in such a humid environment. It is sluggish i have noticed if not at optimum moisture content.What part of this country are you in newbreed?
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 02:30:34 pm »
Southwestern new york

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 03:11:13 pm »
I don't know where you live, New, but NH winters are pretty dry which is when I make bows petty much. I use a moisture meter. I like hickory at 6-8%. I stop when I get a reading that's too high. I bring the stave into a heated room and lay it near some heat. I've had it for years. Worth it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »
Winters here are pretty harsh, lots of snow. The air is dry but there are days when we have thaws and it really can get very wet. I have been using hickory because it's very abundant here and I've been told its the most durable and forgiving of the white woods. We also have a lot of elm and ash and cherry. Not sure how they are as far as moisture retention goes. Or how they are for a beginner like me to work.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »
The best advice I've been given on hickory is to heat treat it. I've never heat treated a bow, but if i would ever work with hickory again, I'd take my heat gun to it one way or another  :laugh:
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys! I have access to a climate control garage that is kept at 72 all year round and completely bone dry. I think I will store them there, as my wife will flip if I bring staves in the hiuse :'(

Does she ever look under the bed?  Mine don't.  She has no clue I have a handful of future bows under there  ;)