Author Topic: tillering reflex-deflex  (Read 2379 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

tillering reflex-deflex
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:57:11 pm »
I'm on my fifth bow (3 flat pyramids and a Mollegebat before this) and have decided to try reflex-deflex....glued up a hickory backed Ipe, 72" long, 1 7/8" at the handle, tapered to 1/2" at the tips. 2" of reflex. I've got it thinned to 1/2" and am ready to start tillering. Now.....do the reflexed tips need to bend? Or act as levers?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:04:48 pm by kevinsmith5 »

Offline macbow

Re: tillering reflex-deflex
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:45:17 pm »
On mine the tips, usually 6 to 8 inches are pretty  static.
The area on mine that is reflexed is about 16 inches from the center of the riser this area will of coarse need to bend and needs to be worked early and more than the rest of the limb.

I have not made one with just the tips reflexed sorta like a recurve.
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:11:34 pm »
Unless your making a 100+ pound pyramid hbi draw 30"+, you don't have to be that wide or long. That's waaaay overbuilt if your just planning on a 50's@28" draw. Why so wide and long? What's your front profile look like? Any pics?...most the time the reflexed area needs to bend pending on where you put the reflex,and the design of the bow like a lever bow.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 09:29:19 pm »
The Ipe was fairly light, not as dense or strong as some of the other pieces I have. I figure if I tear this piece up learning I have the better ones for later.