Author Topic: How to make fletching  (Read 2487 times)

Offline steve b.

How to make fletching
« on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:13 pm »
I want to start using goose feathers for fletching.  I've experiemented in the past with cutting them by hand but the quill is always too thick on the shaft or the fletch just ugly because I cut it with scissors.  Other than that I've always bought fletching and never looked into making them.

I need advice on how best to convert goose feathers to fletching.  I don't mind cutting them by hand if there is a proper technique.  But I see there are choppers and burners out there with mixed results.  Will these work just as well on goose as turkey?  Which one?

thanks,
Steve

Offline Dictionary

Re: How to make fletching
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:32:21 pm »
Yea i've noticed the goose fletchings have thicker, less flat quills than turkey. Honestly, you just have to spend more time sanding it down till its flat. The only portions though that i spend a lot of time sanding down is where i secure the fletchings at the end. I sand those down really flat with some coarse sand paper so that the thread will lay closer to the shaft and not have a "hump" that may hit the bow. Less deflection i guess is what im saying.

Just my .02. hopefully someone with more experience can further help you.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »
Steve when I do mine I strip them start at the top hold the tip of the feather then pull easy downward it might take a couple till you get the hang of it if you do it this way you don't have to do any sanding.
Rob

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 09:01:47 pm »
Rob, I'd like to see your technique. I normally use turkey feathers because they are abundant here in the plains states but like to always have some goose feathers around for rainy weather hunts and stumping.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 09:33:41 pm »
Trapper Rob,
i use the same stripping of the feather technique ,but still haven't found the cleanest straightest way to attach the buggers.they tend to warp this way and that.
do you use hide glue? whats your technique?
I've been experimenting with sinewing down the NON-nock end first and let the hide glue and sinew dry . then slowly working my way up to the other end with one of those leather washers with three splits glueing as i go,little at a time,  then sinewing off the nock end. its still not the best but well maybe not all meat arrows are for winning beauty contests.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 08:56:39 am »
As far as prepping the quill I agree with Dictionary, you just have to practice sanding them down.  I like sanding them down through the entire lengh of the quill.  I use a Dremel with a sanding disc for that job.  Feather choppers will work with goose fletchings or you can make a cardboard pattern and cut them with a pair of sharp feathers.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:57:38 am »
Fred I'll try to get some pics to post on how I do them Rich I kind of cheat on fastening the feathers I use a little contact cement then I tie with sinew at the top then wrap down thru the feather then wrap the bottom there is a book called bow accessories from 3rivers it shows you how to make a jig to grind feathers.
Rob

Offline raghorns

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 10:37:33 am »
Steve,
    I make up my cane shafts with hand sanded feathers and enjoy doing so, but I also shoot some fiberglass and wanted to have a way to grind a lot of goose and turkey feathers fast. I called a supplier about the efficiency of the commercial grinders and they had no experience with them. I just took the dive and hoped it would work. I was thrilled with how easy it was and the results.

I can whip out a dozen feathers in just minutes. I use choppers for the profile. It"s amazing how many friends you will suddenly have when you can grind their prized turkey feathers. lol

The grinder is available thru Big Jim Bows for about $140...at the cost of commercial feathers, it doesn't take long to pay for itself.

Hope this makes sense,
Lyle       
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 11:28:30 am »
Great info, thanks everyone.  I will try everything mentioned. 

raghorns, that sounds really good, I will check it out.  Yea, I plan to make lots of fletch so that price is nothing compared to the cost of buying them. 

Still want to see Trapper's pics.