Author Topic: Getting bored of failing...  (Read 7844 times)

Offline bow101

Re: Getting bored of failing...
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 03:51:34 pm »
there is nothing less desireable about a board bow, heck that's what a laminated bow is, all a board is is a decrowned stave and they make some killer bows,, bub

I agree with so many points you guys have made about what to try and sometimes things are not what they seem.  In other words it's not always Cut & Dry...! I think I will stick with board bows for a while, I may try a laminate in the near future, (3 piece Take down) as I have a few risers I built about 8 months ago.  Staves on the other hand I will stay away from at this point in time. Just not that confident and not enough experience to tackle such a project. I do admire the experienced bowyers that build them and I look at many of the build-a-longs.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 05:11:28 pm »
Try for a bend in the handle bow design. Novices often get hinges at the fades or not bending enough.

The natives knew it was the most simple and effective design.

Widest part at handle and tapers down to the tips. Leave the last 8 inches stiff. Maybe this will help you preventing hinges at the tips? Make it 70 inches just to be safe as it sounds like you havent figured out how to tiller all that well yet. Allowing the inner limbs/handle to bend more allows less strain on the rest of the limbs. I haven't broken a bend in the handle bow in a long time. Although i think i did break my last "handle" bow.  :D

my .02
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 11:55:59 pm »
14 tries spread out over 3 years before I got a bow I could hunt with and mostly from using back locust staves. I didn't know how to differentiate the good wood from the bad and nor did I know to chase a ring on BL. Jawge

Quitters never win. 
Winners never quit. 
But those that never win and never quit often end up making great bowyers!

If you had a lick of sense you would quit this silly abitition to make you own bow, go to the nearest sporting goods shop and like a good sheep, BUY A MASS PRODUCED, SOUL-LESS, TRAINING-WHEELS-EQUIPPED COMPOUND . 

But it is obvious that you are one of us.  You won't settle for that.  Well, good for you!  Grab another stick of wood, get started, and post pics and questions as you go.  There are a lot of folks in here that will do their danged best to help you out!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:02:54 am by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 12:16:18 am »
Will , Like Del was getting at, some bow woods are more forgiving  than others. Take vine maple for instance, I find it very easy to make a bow from. When I first started building bows I had lots of mountain maple also very forgiving, I was lucky! When I finally tried something else, Cascara, Which I'm told is very similar to yew, I built it the same as I did my vine and mountain maple bows and the first time I pulled it to full draw it blew into a million pieces. I don't know where you live but you no doubt can get your hands on a more workable piece for a beginner. I guarantee there will be someone out there who can help you out.  Once you get one that will actually shoot you'll be over the hump and you'll be turning out lots fine bows.                   Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline steve b.

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 02:48:08 am »
" I pulled it to full draw it blew into a million pieces"   :(

Good points, Dale.