Author Topic: Bow Three: Ash Longbow (finished bow on page 2)  (Read 15739 times)

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Re: Building an ash longbow
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:36:58 pm »
The bow is almost done. 73.5" nock to nock. 45# @ 30". Lighter than I wanted, but it is my first English longbow attempt. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

I found the horn nocks pretty easy to work with. However, at one point my file slipped and I scraped the horn. Can I sand the horn? How do I polish it back to a shine? I don't want to cause further damage.

Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Building an ash longbow
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 05:13:00 am »
Horn will file and sand just fine, I use wet or dry paper down to about 240 and finally a quick go with 400 grit then buff it up on a buffing wheel (in my pillar drill) loaded with polishing compound
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Re: Bow Three: Ash Longbow (finished bow on page 2)
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 12:13:09 am »
Thanks for all the advice while I worked on this project. The PA forums have terrific members. It is a great community.

This was my third bow (not including two kids bows). It was my first English longbow and my first unbacked bow. It started as a 3"x3"x8' ash post. The final bow ended up at 73.5" nock to nock and draws 45# @ 30". My original goal was to go for a heavier draw weight, but too much enthusiasm with the draw knife wrecked those plans. The bow has a "rounded square" profile.

The ash post provided wood for this longbow, two kids bows, and a very nice quartersawn board for a later project.

This bow will be traded to an old friend in exchange for a leather quiver.

Here is the unbraced bow. With such a long bow it is hard to get a good image! I left the ash "in the white" and protected it with five coats of polyurethane. It took 2" of set.

I had never worked with horn before. I found it easy to work with. Too late I realized I could have made the horn-limb transition smoother. Live and learn. I'll buff it to a shine later. I've also started making my own strings, a process I enjoy very much.

From what I understand, a "true" English longbow doesn't have a handle/grip. However the bow was uncomfortable to handle without one, so I put two layers of leather on the belly and wrapped it with hemp.

Here is the bow at 29" draw. The top 1/3 is a little stiff, I think, but I'll live with it. I've adopted a forward leaning stance, with front foot facing forward for balance. I like the stance. It keeps the string clear of my chest and I can get a longer draw.

I don't know if it is the bow, or the archer, but I'm shooting this bow very well (I was aiming at the deer image from 30 yards). It is smooth and steady to shoot. I am shooting much better than with my other bows. Or it could just be experience.

Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 09:29:31 am »
Nicely done 45# at 30 is pretty respectable.
I like your style, the slight lean forward and hunched over works for me too :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Adam

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 11:25:32 am »
That's a terrific looking bow.  It's especially impressive just being your third.  Nice work!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 06:59:49 am »
I must try this style...nice bend!  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 10:08:08 am »
Very nicely done. Nothing wrong with that! Your tiller is great. Next time if you want more weight, just slow down a bit. The only thing I use a draw knife for these days is removing bark off staves.

Did you get the horn nocks off eBay from the guy in Hungary? I recognise the style. I've purchased some from him and they're reasonably good, and a decent price.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 01:15:13 am »
Thanks for the kind comments. I have a few more bows in the pipeline before I do another Ash longbow, but I have the wood and will definitely be doing another one.

@adb - Yup, I got them from the ebay Hungary guy. Good price and he sent them right away. I don't have anything to compare them to, but I like them.