Author Topic: Silverleaf Bow  (Read 8630 times)

Offline Arrowind

Silverleaf Bow
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:37:21 pm »
This is a hickory backed maple deflex / recurve.  This is the first bow I've made in which I purposely put in some deflex.  I really wasn't sure how it would turn out.  When it came time to start bracing it I was surprised at how difficult it was to brace and how much early draw weight there really is. I wasn't expecting there to be much at all.  Anyway it turned out better than I had hoped and I'm happy with the way it turned out. 

Story:
The name "Silverleaf Bow" comes from the origin of the bow.  This weapon was made by the Silverleaf Elves who hale from the Silverleaf Woods after which they are called.  A lone human hunter happend upon an injured Elven traveler.  He bandaged his wounds brought him back to camp and gave him food, water and rest until he was returned to good health and ready to travel again.  Out of gratitude the Elf offered this gift.   

Details:
Green and brown leather dye was used to add color. The tips are slightly curved and overlaid with antler.  The handle is tooled leather and stained to match the brown tips.    The the designs on the back and each limb are hand painted with acrylic metallic silver paint.  Written in elvish on the belly of the top limb is the bows name "Silverleaf bow".   On the bottom limb the phrase "May your life's purpose be true" is written.  The string is light brown B50 (wish I had linen).  Interwoven into the string is several strands of metallic silver thread.  The string is also served with the same thread.

Stats:
Hickory backed maple
Deflex / recurve
64" Tip to Tip
55lbs @ 27"
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

Re: Silverleaf Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 01:38:56 pm »
More pics
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:39:30 pm »
One more.  Just for fun....

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 01:44:17 pm »
Wow that looks awesome!!!! Reminds me alot of something you would see in LOTR. I bet it shoots great too. I really don't have patience for all that cosmetic stuff, but obviously you do and it turned out srsly cool! When'r you gonna take down some Orcs with it?  ;) ;) ;)
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 01:48:23 pm »
Very fine craftsmanship.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:28:20 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 01:58:33 pm »
Sweet n smooth I bet....you probably spent just as much time in the finish work as it did to make it almost...been there and it takes patience and multiple sittings to do it all,for me at least

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 02:15:08 pm »
That tooled leather handle turned out beautifully.  I love the way it wraps up the fades.  Very nice craftsmanship.  What type of maple is that?  I think of most maple as being tension strong, rather than belly wood.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:26:40 pm »
Awesome bow you have there. That grip is exquisite.

Jon

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 02:39:03 pm »
Awesome finish work. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »
Well thats just to cool !!! Very much a one of a kind bow, great attention to detail and design. Also has great tiller and no doubt great cast. There is some serious talent on this website! :) :) :)
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 03:08:59 pm »
Top notch!! I really love your finish work and your bows are nothing to sneeze at either. My inner nerd approves.  ;) Ok, maybe it's not very 'inner'.  The handwrap is what really grabs me but the rest is stunning too.

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 10:05:38 pm »
That's a really cool bow!  Had to call my wife in to look at this one.  She just loves it too!  She loves the Lord of the Ring trilogy and that looks the part so she fell in love with it.  Very nice work.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 10:56:39 pm »
Hollie mollie, very nice, all of it, the leather work just puts it over the top.
thanks for sharing. Graylan

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 11:20:28 pm »
Zion - Thanks!  I tried to shoot some orcs today but couldn't hit any.  >:(  I think I need some arrows matched for this bow....  It does shoot well but it seems I'm more of a bowyer than an archer.  :-[  Need to spend more time shooting and less time building I guess.

Slimbob - Thanks!

Blackhawk - Thanks!.  yeah I think I actually spent 3 times as much time on the finish...work.  Get's tedious sometimes.  As you know.  I have quite a few that are shooters but not "finished".   I had to see this one through....got a bug and had to do it.  Thanks again!

CMB - Thanks!  I used hard maple, I think it is also called rock maple or sugar maple....seems to work pretty good.  I've built a few with maple and really like the wood.  I've built a lot of hickory bows and now I'm trying to force myself to use other woods.  Hickory is still like a security blanket for me....I feel compelled to back everything with it now....   I have one in the works that is hickory backed maple that is highly reflexed with a set back handle...I'm waiting to see how it holds up.  I am worried about frets and crystals for sure... Thanks again!

Ifrit617, Badly Bent, ryoon4690, Thanks!  I really appreciate your comments.

Weylin - Thanks!  Yeah my inner nerd becomes my outer nerd sometimes.. ???  :o :laugh:   My brother, son and I still play D&D once in a while. We call it "Nerd Night".   ;D

David_Daugherty - Thanks!  Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie (I consider all three to be one big movie).   Glad you and your wife like the bow.  And to be mentioned along side Lord of the Rings...I take that as a great complement.  Thanks!   CAN'T WAIT FOR THE HOBBIT!

spyder1958 -  Thanks!  I got a leather working "starter kit" from Tandy Leather for Christmas last year.  I've always wanted to learn how to tool leather with my own designs.  The kit has a book and DVD that shows how.  Glad you like it!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 12:03:16 am »
It really does me good to see posts like this. It lets me know just how far I have to go. What a piece of art! It looks like it can really sling an arrow, too!! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA