Author Topic: vertical grain is stronger than horizontal grain  (Read 30937 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: vertical grain is stronger than horizontal grain
« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2019, 05:37:20 pm »
bump it up to about 50 ish,, and it will tell you a bit more about the wood,, )P(

Offline Artus

« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2019, 12:02:42 am »
The scope of the experiment was, to see if the splitting surface holds up as a back. Even mostly unscraped and with imperfections.
 My thinking is, the back would have failed before the belly, when overstressed, if the imperfections would have done too much harm. And that is supported by what you say: the wood is always more tension strong, but the sides would have changed, if using the raw splitting surface, changes the tensile strenght properties.
But exactly that isn‘t the case, the belly failed and which shows, that the back is still stronger than the belly.

In short: I wasn’t about to show if vertical grain is stronger. I guess you haven’t read all of my posts.

@brad:
Do you mean the one I showed in my last post or when I redo the experiment?

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:00 am »

In short: I wasn’t about to show if vertical grain is stronger. I guess you haven’t read all of my posts.

Silly me, I was fooled by the title and all the earlier posts that talked about that subject.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2019, 11:27:57 am »
when you experiment,, I think the heavier bow will give you a better represetaion of what the wood can or can not do,,

Offline Artus

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2019, 02:00:11 pm »
That’s the plan for the next try :BB

What do you think about the bow I showed recently?

Offline willie

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:24 pm »
you might try shortening this one actually. the tips are not really working anyway, you might want to make the right limb bend as much as the left

Offline Artus

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2019, 01:43:32 pm »
Thanks Willie!
But I actually decided to discard this one and take it as a practice piece in primitive bow making. I harvested another ash recently. And now I think I got the hang of it on how to make a bow with more primitive tools. I learned the approach is slightly different than doing it on a workbench with a draw knife, but it works just fine. I just need to get acommodated to it.