Author Topic: Moths in taxidermy. What to do?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Adam

Moths in taxidermy. What to do?
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »
I have a boar head in my house that I started to notice a few hairs had started dropping out.  When I looked closely, I found what looked like dead moths in the thickest parts of the fur.  I vacuumed them out and sprayed some bug spray in it and the problem seemed solved.  That was about 2 weeks ago and now I'm noticing the same thing again.  I don't have moths flying all over the house and my wife keeps our place really clean, so I'm not sure how it happened. I just took the head outside and used an air compressor to blow everything out and put it in a chest freezer.  Does anyone have any idea of what I can do to prevent this from happening again?  There hasn't been much damage done to the mount, but I want to keep it in good condition.  It's not an exceptional boar or anything, but it was my first big game animal and I'd hate to see it ruined.  Thanks!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Moths in taxidermy. What to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 02:00:02 pm »
I don't know if this applies to fur but I was told by a Taxidermist to use a feather duster and spray it with WD-40 and dust my turkey mounts monthly to keep the dust and bugs from the feathers.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Adam

Re: Moths in taxidermy. What to do?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
I'll have to give WD-40 a try.  Thanks!