Author Topic: What brand of tools do you recommend  (Read 5327 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: What brand of tools do you recommend
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »
i do burnish my scrapers with a metal rod after i sharpen them on a file to get a good bur going.Daniel,try running your scrapers at different angles across the wood.it wil keep it from chattering of stair stepping the wood.

Ok, thanks for the tip!
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bigbird583

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 10:01:14 am »
     Thanks everybody.  This might turn into one of the least expensive hobbies that I have.  And the coolest thing is.  I was talking with my Mom yesterday and found out that she inherited most of my Grandfathers old tools.  He was a carpenter in his earlier life and some of the things he built are still around today.  I spent allot of time with him when I was a kid and he's the one that introduced me to wood working so using his tools has got me pretty stoked.  I haven't got to go through his tool box yet but if I remember right he had pretty much everything I should need. 
     Oh and I got one volume of the TBB in the mail yesterday so I actually stayed awake until midnight.  Of course I was up reading.  Boy am I getting old.  Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Offline seabass

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »
happy new year Bigbird and good luck with your grampas tools.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 02:29:02 pm »
I purchased a nice farriers rasp (Save Edge) off eBay made in the good old USA and couldn't be happier. I have 5 draw knives and my favorite is still the first one that a friend gave to me years ago. It's a Jaxson, 10 inch, straight edge, and I've never seen another one like it, so don't be afraid to try some old unknown maker brand tools. Just make sure that they aren't too badly rusted and stay away from anything pitted or with heavy gouges in the working blade area.
Jawge, thanks for the link. I've been using your site and help for years and this is the first time (I think) I saw that one.>>>Fred
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 03:13:45 pm by Fred Arnold »
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.