Author Topic: 16th century Spanish "ballesta" crossbow - with shooting videos and testing info  (Read 60941 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: 16th century Spanish "ballesta" crossbow - nearly finished
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2012, 11:37:29 pm »
Very cool.. Names? How about El Dorado or Mi Dorado?

Feliz Navidad!
Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2012, 12:36:57 am »
Looks great!  Shooting video soon???

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Dane

« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2012, 08:48:23 am »
Frohe Weihnachten, criveraville, and thank you. Who knows about a name, it will come in time if I do name it.

Absolutely, if not today then soon, George. Thanks.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

orkbow

« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:57 am »
Wow Dane that is one nice project. You really did a great job!

Offline Dane

« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2012, 10:05:31 am »
Adam, right? Been a while. Thanks so much. I'm pleased, and it came out a little above my expectations. There are things I wish I had done differently, and will with the next Spanish style crossbow, after I take care of a few other projects.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2012, 07:04:13 am »
Nearly done. The other day, I made a bastard string to string up the weapon. A bastard string is one way of getting your string on a crossbow, and the more powerful the crossbow, the more excitement you will have :) I made this from 1/8" steel wire rated for about 280 lbs. of breaking strength, along with two U bolts and wire rope clips.

I padded the center of the wire with leather to minimize finish damange to the top of the crossbow, as well. The wire will eat into the finish fast.

Before, that, I made a cocking device out of scrap osage and hickory, and some left over hardware. It is not pretty right now, but I will revisit it later and sand and finish it. I wanted to make it with off the shelf hardware if possible, and it worked out okay. I mocked the cocking device up with cardboard to get the geometery right, and it didnt take that long to make this thing, maybe 2 hours. Historically, a goat's foot lever or cranquen would have been used.

Yes, I know it is inelegant, but it worked. The books are on the floor to get the bow off the trigger. And, there was a tiny bit of damage to one of the rolling nut lugs, not much, but a good illustration to why I generally file those down a bit. As long as you have enough of the lugs to hold the string, you are good to go.

The fix for that lug was simply to file down the lug tops a bit. Here that is in progress.

So, the procedure here was to span the bow and then slip the string on. The U bolts allow for this, and hopefully, the lousy pictures show this. I didn't want to mess about taking a lot of pictures, as this procedure is not fun and I wanted to get it done as quickly as possible.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:12:27 am by Dane »

Offline Dane

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2012, 07:10:29 am »
Now the moment of truth comes, in that you find out for real if you got the prod socket at the right angle. The string is lighly touching the top surface of the crossbow at draw, and that is exactly what you want. I had shot for 3.5" brace height, and it came out to 3.75", which is just fine. Hurray. However, the bow was canted slightly to the right (left as viewed from the business end). I am not sure you can see this in the photo, but here it is.

With a bound in prod, things can be a bit more complicated, but with bow irons, it takes but moments to get this right. Tap out the two wedges, adjust the bow in the socket, and tap the wedges back into place. I'm doing that with a little hand forged hammer.

And that is that.

I marked the exact center of the string, and the prod and string are at a 90 degree angle to the tiller. Just what I wanted.

All strung up and nowhere to go, as we had about 15" of snow yesterday, so going to the range was out of the question.

Last, here are a few other shots of the cocking device. The hook hooks into the ring at the front of the crossow, and you can hopefully see how this works.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 07:34:02 am by Dane »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2012, 07:20:51 am »
Nice pics, that lettering looks really good tucked under the trigger.
Regarding the "why isn't it forged" heckling from the back.
I'm with you in that we set our own target for this sort of thing and it's an experimentation and learning exercise. Sometimes the penny drops and we see 'Ah, thats how they did it' other time we just learn... hmmm that's not a good way to do it.
I think a level of consistency over a project giving an even look is what's needed, and that's what you've done.
I think shooting the critic was maybe a slight over-reaction ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dane

« Reply #98 on: December 28, 2012, 07:27:45 am »
Thank you, Mr. Cat. No critics are going to get shot, but perhaps zombie pizza delivery boy targets. :)

Photobucket was giving me trouble, so the posting will continue now.

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2012, 07:32:15 am »
Finally, a few addtional photos

And the spanning device.

As I said, tomorrow (or today? I have to work from home, but if I get done in time, then off I go to my club) to start shooting this thing. We have an indoor pistol range which is ideal for this, and no blue hands and lips from Jack Frost's loving embrace. :)

I will be taking video and photos of course, and hopefully, this thing will perform to my expectations. 165 lbs should give a nice little bit of omph.

Offline Dane

« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2012, 07:49:22 am »
One last bit of stuff, in that, as we know, leaving a wooden bow strung for a long period of time is not a very good idea. With steel crossbow prods, this is not nearly as much of a concern, so you don't have to go and remove the string each time you are done shooting for the day. That would be a very huge drag.

I've left a prod just like this one, at 100 lbs. strung for about 18 months, with no damage whatsover. There are instances of medieval steel prods being strung for many hundreds of years with very little degradation in performance on record, as well. If I were going to put the crossbow into long-term storage, I would remove the string, of course. And, I do have this nifty stringing rack I made up. It consists of two heavy timbers bolted together in a cross configuration, with two 1" steel rods placed at about 25" apart in the cross timber. I use this along with a hydraulic jack rated at 2000 lbs.  You simply put the crossbow butt on the jack (with a thick piece of leather to pad it to avoid finish damage), and pump away. Slip on the string, lower the jack, and you are done. I don't have pictures of it right now, so hopefully my description makes sense.

The reason I didn't use it this time is that I built it for shorter crossbows. This particular weapon is 4" too long, so I will modify the rack by adding an addtional 6 inches to the bottom of it. 

And with that, back to other stuff. Look for the testing photos soon.

Dane

Offline autologus

Re: 16th century Spanish "ballesta" crossbow - finished but for testing
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2012, 09:15:11 am »
You have got to do a You Tube video shooting that thing.  It looks great and the engineering and craftsmanship and impeccable.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:08 am »
Sir you're craftsman extraordinaire! What a work of art! Can't wait for the video
Always learning something new.

Offline Dane

« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2012, 11:30:59 am »
Thanks so much, guys. I make plenty of mistakes though, but get better, I hope, each time I build a crossbow.

I will post video as soon as I can.

Dane

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2012, 01:02:19 pm »
it's been a lot of fun watching this thread. keep up the good work

Duck
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"