Author Topic: Scent control  (Read 20842 times)

Eric Garza

Scent control
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:27:12 pm »
As someone new to hunting, I was bewildered by the array of scent-related products at my local sporting goods store.  I know that scent is one of deer's keenest senses, so how do other primitive hunters deal with this?  I have a piece of unwaxed dental floss tied to the tip of my bow to allow me to easily gauge wind, but I wonder if others go further than this?  I'm particularly interested to hear about how folks deal with odor on clothing and if people use soaps to reduce/eliminate their body odor.

Thanks!

-Eric

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Scent control
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:18:23 pm »
  I hunt with the wind.Scent control is damn near impossible on the ground in Fl.It is too hot and you sweat too much.And if you don't have a bug suit you need repellant.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

brokennock

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 11:26:23 pm »
I try to hunt with the wind in my face but the topography here has the wind swirling and changing direction a lot. I do wash my clothes with odor killing detergent that also kills U.V. and bathe with scentless soap. But I don't just do this for hunting, I really don't like anything with much scent to it. About a month before season opens I start taking chlorophyll and take it through the season, I find it definately reduces my body odor even when sweating, depending of course on what else I've been eating.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 12:37:59 am »
I thought that primitive scent controll meant not eating beans.  ;D   Use the wind to your advantage.  Scent controll and cover scents just means you smell like a person that has been rolling in deer piss.  They can still smell the person.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 12:48:52 am »
..........no meat fer 3 days before the hunt, charcoal in yer diet. Wood smoke on yer gear and clothes. Tobacco(chewin) ifn ya partake. The rest is made ta fool YOU and make ya give up ya $ it dont fool the animals. they are less than impressed. Ya smell like a carnivore tryin' ta hide. ;)..................bob

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:49:32 am »
put the wind at your face, and do your darndest to keep it in your face.  beyond that, don't smoke in the woods, chew instead if ya need something.  i agree with fred asbell in that, there is a difference between a hunter and a filthy hunter, but there is no way they won;'t smell you if they are dead down wind.  The only difference is how far away they will smell you.  although, i gotts say, i have killed many deer right after putting out a cig.  just shows if the wind ain't goin to them, they won't smell ya no matter what.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 10:11:16 am »
I wash all my hunting clothes and myself in unscented soap, and store my clothes in a plastic tote with some hemlock branches in there. Oh and some of the scent killer stuff does help, I dont care what you guys say. I used the wipes when I was in colorado last year for 10 days and I could smell the differance before and after..... ::)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

makete

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 12:12:59 pm »
put the wind at your face, and do your darndest to keep it in your face.  beyond that, don't smoke in the woods, chew instead if ya need something.  i agree with fred asbell in that, there is a difference between a hunter and a filthy hunter, but there is no way they won;'t smell you if they are dead down wind.  The only difference is how far away they will smell you.  although, i gotts say, i have killed many deer right after putting out a cig.  just shows if the wind ain't goin to them, they won't smell ya no matter what.
   This I agree with including "killed a deer right after putting out a cig", this also has happened to me a couple of times. Watch the wind at all times, keep it in your favor and they wont smell you.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 04:15:04 pm »
Ryan, I do use the scent free laundry detergent and that kind of stuff.  You can certainly minimise the scent.  The alternative is using flowery smelling stuff, so you don't have much choice.  I also put my clothes in a duffel bag with sage brush.  But all these efforts are to keep my clothes from smelling like gas or exhaust from the truck.  It is all futile though if you let them get down wind.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 09:03:43 am »
I use a lot of the sent killer spray and I keep my cloth as many have said as clean as I can.I try to hunt with the wind in my favor but here in Tn. if you are hunting from a stand or blind you would
have to change every 15 min.I think the sent control helps at least make them think you are 40 yards out insteat of 10.If they get down wind they will catch you if they stay there long.
Especially a big old doe. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sonny

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 02:45:37 pm »
thought ya'll might find this interesting....
last year I was sitting in one of my favorite treestands when I saw a doe that obviously caught a wiff of me turn and walk back the way she came. when a second doe walked the same way without smelling me (somehow) they both walked the direction the first one was headed in the first place.
All along I had thought that there was no way a deer would do such a thing but she must have had a very short memory..

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 08:47:39 pm »
I like the scent free soap for me and clothes, and use small fresh cedar branches on me while out.Seems to work ok,wood smoke doesnt hurt either.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 02:18:17 pm »
Scent free soap, deodorant and detergent for clothes. Keep clothes sealed in plastic bag, and carry a change of clothes and shoes with me for the middle of the day if I'm going to be away from home. I also wear rubber boots, and try to keep the wind direction in mind when determining which stand I plan to hunt. But as Pappy said, it changes often. I also attempt to approach and get into a stand if possible without a deer crossing my trail. You can't always do that though.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 06:09:40 pm »
The same way moutain men did sweating in buckskins. Or a hallf naked indain did. Get down wind. The only thing i do is drag a scent rag tied to a piece of rope around my boot.(using alittle urine) There is a sucker born every minute if you buy all that stuff.

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 10:42:54 am »
Play the wind and watch where you step! 

I only hunt in period clothing anymore....be it a clout and hunting shirt with a flintlock or a tunic and hose with a long bow.......one thing I do....is to make sure to store my clothes in a cedar chest.....and I also leave them smelling of wood smoke......
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying