Author Topic: Scent control  (Read 20848 times)

Offline butch

Re: Scent control
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2007, 07:16:49 am »
crushed clove of garlic. smear it on clothing.

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 04:18:53 pm »
I had to chime in on the woodsmoke issue. I had read somewhere about always standing in front of a smoky fire before hunting. The reasoning was not that it covered scent but that the smoke particles would act as a "primitive carbon suit" to actually absorb (or ADsorb if you like) the odors. I think some Indian tribes used to do this. I was thinking of trying it this year. I don't know if the science is valid but it sounds possible. Maybe we could get the Mythbusters to try it out.

Beleg813

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2007, 12:27:36 am »
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but I just like the smell of a burning fire and will definitely adopt this as a method to screen my scent :)
And, love the movie references :)

Offline Postman

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 01:32:03 pm »
Nice point on the activated carbon / woodsmoke angle.....something to think about. 
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline ShinneryOak

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 06:39:27 pm »
An update on woodsmoke- I got online to look into it some more. It looks like commercial activated carbon has to be made at high temperatures. They also inject steam which gives the carbon particle tons of pores, like a sponge. However,from what I could tell, anything that burns can be used as a source. Just a guess, but smoke from a wood fire would be unlikely to contain a lot of activated carbon due to the low temp of the fire, but it might have a little. I would still prefer it to using a carbon suit.

Offline billy

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2007, 05:12:02 pm »
I had a dude out in Oregon tell me that if you smeared yourself in vanilla extract, then the deer would come right up to you and lick it off you.  He also said that the indians would bury them selves in a deer trail, cover themselves in deer droppings, and when a deer walked over them they would jam an obsidian knife in their chest.  He also told me that the Indians would eat their own placenta after they gave birth.

MAybe the other stuff is true, but I don't see an indian smearing himself in #%#? while it's freezing cold outside!  hahahaha.....

What an idiot.....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2007, 07:37:34 pm »
If you covered yourself with vanilla extract here, you'd have about 10,000 yellow jackets all over you before long  :o
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2007, 08:17:13 pm »
   Hey tell him ta check out the price of Vanilla extract ! :o ;D :D ;D..........bob

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2007, 05:34:50 pm »
The best hunting tip i can give. Don't Fart!!! You do that you'll see deer.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 09:48:04 pm »
As far as smoking while hunting goes, I guess it depends on how dumb the deer are.  I must have some stpid deer around here.  I have had them come in with there nose up  smelling he the smoke.  I even shot one while holding the cigerette in my bow hand because I did nit have time to lay it down.  As far as cover scents go, I hunt in a lot of pine, so to blend in, I will rub cheap aristocrat gin on my hunting clothes a few hours before I go out.  Smells like fresh pine needles.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2007, 05:49:05 pm »
Here in Oklahoma there is many southern red cedar trees. i have made an oil by boiling green branches. it makes a good cover scent. i suspect this would work with other evergreens as well.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »
   I know quite a few people that sit in there stand and spit Tobacca juice all day.They say the deer will lick it. I don't know if I'd waste the Gin,Turpentine and water work real good.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2007, 06:59:46 pm »
............Tobacco is a crop fer farmers down here in south florida. I chaw in woods and like Eddie said have seen em' lick it up thats is before arra finds em' ! ;D......bob