Author Topic: Yew longbow  (Read 4670 times)

Offline sharpend60

Re: Yew longbow
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »
I think the poster meant it was his first success, not attempt.

Offline WillS

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 11:40:04 pm »
Yeah, first actual bow that made it past the tillering stage.  All the others either weren't seasoned properly and took crazy set or chrysals, or I missed things like hinges during tillering and they broke.   I've got a couple of ash bows waiting to be finished, and another piece of REALLY frightening looking yew, but this is my first shootable bow.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 12:00:19 am »
Nicely done Will.  Looking forward to a full draw pic, but like Del warned, don't leave it full draw on a tiller stick for more than a second or two.  What is the length on that?  And did you do your layout on the belly side?  I have never seen that before.  Again, nicely done, looks like a great shooter, and nice arrow too.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline WillS

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 08:02:07 am »
Will try and get a full draw pic done today!  It's 72" ntn.  Yeah, I did the layout belly side rather than on the back - just shows how ignorant I am with making bows!  I kept reading "you must always follow the grain" not realising it was relating to the back/sapwood grain.  I thought it was vital to follow every twist and turn on the belly, including the huge S-bend, so I carefully penciled along the central grain line and marked out my taper thickness in tiny increments using a formula.  Once it had been roughed out I spent about 2 weeks with a heat gun and 4 billion clamps to get the thing straight, and was finally able to string it and tiller it.  I have learned my lesson doing that!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 09:33:20 am »
Definitely a nice job on that curvy piece of wood! 8)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA