Author Topic: Edger Blade Knife - for 2012 Christmas Exchange  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Adam

Edger Blade Knife - for 2012 Christmas Exchange
« on: December 01, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »
Here’s my project for the 2012 Christmas Exchange.  This is the first knife I’ve ever made.  I had a great time working on it and I learned quite a bit.  Thanks to many people on this site, I was able to find all the information I needed to get started. 

I began with an edger blade from the hardware store.  I considered a saw blade, but I wanted the knife to have a fairly stout blade that would withstand some heavy use and batoning if necessary.  The steel seemed pretty hard as I could barely scratch it with a file.  I printed a pattern of the blade profile I wanted and traced the outline with pencil, which was fairly easy to see and didn’t rub off during the process; a big plus.  At this point, I used (several) Dremel cutoff wheels to rough out the blade.  Lots of neat sparks fly everywhere!  I know all of you know this, but please use safety glasses if you do this.  I spend a fair amount of time removing metal from people’s eyes and nobody seems to enjoy it ;).  I took this step really slow because I didn’t want to alter the temper.  After cutting  for several seconds, I would either move to another spot or dip the blade in water.  The metal never got above lukewarm.  The bevel and edge were put on mostly with a file.  After that was done, I used several grits of sandpaper with an electric palm sander.  I ended with 400 grit wet paper, which left a near-mirror shine.

At this point, I decided to use a browning solution on the metal for an old-timey look.  I’ve used this on muzzleloader parts in the past and really liked how they turned out.  One thing I found is that humidity is really important in this process.  I did several treatments in my basement (relative humidity=31%) and got hardly any results.  I sanded all the finish off to start again.  This time, I put the blade in front of a humidifier and that worked much better.  This finish can be left on for a few hours between treatments up to 24 hours before it’s wiped off.  The longer you wait, the more “antiqued” the finish - most treatments I did were in the 4-8 hour range.  If you want a more uniform browning, the blade is rinsed in hot water and excess oxidation is rubbed off using coarse cloth (old denim works great) every 3 hours.

For the scales, I glued some maple veneer to walnut for a little contrast.  At the hardware store, I got a piece of cut off wire for under a dollar and used the copper for pins.  I used some 5 minute epoxy between the scales and metal for good measure.   I’m not sure I’d do this again.  Even though I was really careful, it was messy and I had to do a lot of hand sanding to clean up the areas it got on the wood.  I did coat the blade with paste wax where I wasn’t epoxying to keep any from sticking to that area.

After that, I just sanded and sprayed polyurethane over the scales and rubbed on some paste wax to finish it off.  Now all I need is to make a leather sheath, and it’ll be all ready to send off!  Thanks for looking.

Offline Adam

Re: Edger Blade Knife - for 2012 Christmas Exchange
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:49:22 pm »
More pictures...

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:40 am »
Very nice knife, finish look great.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:37:31 pm »
cool knife, i like the maple/walnut handles. i hope you got my name
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:55:26 am »
Thanks guys.  It was a fun project.