Author Topic: Old limb twist thread  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Old limb twist thread
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:43:52 am »
There used to be a thread kicking around somewhere that did a really great job explaining what caused limb twist and how to deal with it, but I can't seem to find it. Does anybody know where it might be hiding?

If not, when my limb is twisting do I need to remove material from the the side twisting up, or the side twisting down?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Old limb twist thread
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:52:23 am »
I've been looking for the same thread and can't find it either. If I find it again I plan on downloading or bookmarking it.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »
Compare(feel) the thickness of the limb from one side to the other. Generally one side will be thicker that the other. Reducing the thicker side will reduce the twist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:34:33 pm »

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:31 pm »
Yep that is the one. Thanks for that.

But its too late for me  :( . The bow already came in way under weight, only 25 lbs at 28 inches. I think it was weak wood though because there was still plenty of mass to the limbs. I think it was just spongy to begin with. But I might cut a few inches off to get rid of the worst of the twist then turn it into a kids bow.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:35:42 pm »
Same one I was looking for. Thank you~ At times while doing a search here I can quickly find what research I'm looking for and other times it takes me back to 2007 and beyond. Not that that"s a bad thing because I've found very helpful and useful information that I needed to learn.
I would appreciate any suggestions or tips though to help on the search engine. I'm pretty savvy but I'm gettin old and sometimes just won't have the time or patience to figure it all out.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 09:46:26 pm »
I don't really have any tricks. I just happened to have it bookmarked because there are always people asking about it :)