Author Topic: Forund a nice large bees nest, have questions?  (Read 12605 times)

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: Forund a nice large bees nest, have questions?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2007, 01:08:45 pm »
Slightly off topic. Hornet and wasp eggs are great fish bait. When I was a kid I kept at least one wasp nest in my dresser drawer for bait .Well at least until my Mom went and put up clothes for my once .Whoops   ;D >:D

Ralph

Stick Shooter

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 08:45:01 pm »
Aroung here they throw some gas on them and that will kill them on contact and will kill the eggs. Do it at night let it sit afew days then rap it in a bag for winter the gas smell does disapate. My friends have them hanging in there homes and I don't smell gas. Stick Shooter

Offline Key

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 11:53:58 am »
I got the picture of the nest this morning. Birds and wind haven't runined it yet but I better cut in down soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Roger

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 12:52:37 pm »
I have collected these nests but only in the dead of winter. A coating of shellac or varnish will help keep it together after you collect it. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2007, 12:15:10 am »
     Key, sounds like you have a hornets nest.  Bees will swarm, and hang on a limb, but then go to a hollow tree, or rock crevice, ect.  But you said that you have seen them going in and out of it.  Sounds like a hornets nest.  Yes definately be careful, they hurt like hell!  And indeed if you are alergic, get someone else to get it for you.  If you want to try to get it, wait till night, and take a friend and a light, and garbage bag, and a saw, and some twist ties.  Shine the light on the nest, and then quickly slip the bag over the nest, and tie the twist tie around the top ( where it connects to the limb ), and then saw off the limb, to length that you want, and then take it home and throw it in the freezer.  Next day you an shake out the hornets, and go fishing.  It is really a neat nest.  It is made in layers, or one on top of the other one, with space in between. 
Hope this helps.
                                                                Stickbender

Offline Key

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 11:44:16 pm »
Well, I got the nest cut now and it is now in a plastic bag. I am following some of the suggestions above and it will be hanging in my den sometime soon.
Thanks all.
Roger

Offline stickbender

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 02:45:59 pm »

Like Pappy said, wait till night.  Get someone to go with you, and they can hold the light.  Or you can just use a head light.  Then slip a heavy trash bag over the nest, and remove it.  Tie the bag tight.  Then just put the whole thing in the freezer.  Next morning, you, have lots of fish bait, and tinder, or a neat conversation piece to hang in the corner.  Used to be able to sell the wasps to research labs, doing alergy work.  You could just pull the stinger, and sac out of the abdomen.

Stick  Bender.