Author Topic: Lemonwood and Boo longbow  (Read 14736 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Lemonwood and Boo longbow
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »
Thank you Scott. The powerlam is 18" long. The limbs taper evenly from 1 3/8" at the fades to 7/16" at the tips.

Thank you Killir Duck.

Thank you Carson.

Thank you rps3.

Thank you for the compliment Will.

Thank you Arrowind.
Gordon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:19 pm »
Nice contrast to the bows I have seen of yours before (all works of art). The power lam and tips really pop! Nice job again Mr. F!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline cvarcher

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 09:09:25 pm »
Oh My God Gordon, its Sooo beautiful!!! I am so lucky to have found you . You are truly gifted to create the great longbow and I am excited to show my daughter as well. The English  Yew Wood one I had was from the great Don Adams but it was finally cracking or chrysaling as they call it and after he examined it the verdict was bad. Ive heard so much about Lemonwood as the perfect substitute and in fact I think it was a Lemonwood bow that won a famous tournament years ago. After seeing Gordons bamboo backed one he made for his friends son I knew from the pictures this guy knows how to build them.But would he build it for me? What a Gentleman! Gordon, if it looks this good on the computer screen I can just imagine holding it in my hands what it will be like ! Dons bow was made for his wife Vivian as it was called Lady. He knew I was so anxious to get going on shooting and his waiting time was long so his wife gave the ok to sell her bow to me.It was 42lbs @28. Afterwards I ended up, buying heavy weighted bows in the upper 60s and low 70s for years(big mistake!). I gave Caralyn my daughter the Yew Wood bow . I am certainly going to enjoy shooting this but it will end up going to my daughter as a sort of replacement-hence the name " LADY ". Thankyou Gordon!!! I cant wait to get it. Now tell me about that nice osage flatbow with the snakeskin backing  you mentioned to me!!!!! 

Offline Gordon

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 09:36:02 pm »
Thank you Kenny.

Hey Corrado, I take it you like how the bow looks  :) I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow.
Gordon

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »
simply put an elegant bow, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 10:11:19 pm »
Very nice Gordon!
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 10:12:00 pm »
That's beautiful, Gordon!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 10:26:57 pm »
I keep coming back to this topic to look at this bow. I've always wanted to work lemonwood, sadly idk where to get it.
Very spectacular bow Gordon, you do amazing artisan work.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:54 pm »
Great looking bow gordon. nicework
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline gmc

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 12:12:25 am »
That tiller looks like it was drawn on a CAD system.

Super nice bow for sure.

gmc
Central Kentucky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 01:05:22 am »
She's a real beauty, Gordon.  I think Corrado thinks so too.  8)

I'm gonna read back over this thread closely. I have a lemonwood stave James Parker gave me a few years ago and you have stirred my curiosity. I may ste...borrow a few dimensions and may make my first power lam.  ???   I'll probably use hickory for the backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 01:16:42 am »
Thank you Bubby, I appreciate it.

Thank you VMB.

Hey Weylin, thank you.

Bryce, there is a lumber yard in Portland where you can occasionally find it. But it is rare.

Thank you Dvs.

Thank you gmc. I've written CAD software before, but I don't touch that stuff when making bows  ;D

Hey thank you Pat. I think hickory and lemonwood would be a killer combination. You're going to like this stuff. I guarentee it!
Gordon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 01:27:08 am »
Could you PM me the name of the lumber yard? Then maybe I'll stop in on my way to work or something.
Thanks Gordo!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline coaster500

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 01:37:44 am »
Wonderful work Gordon!!!  and I have to agree, there is something to be said about the pleasures of a light bow :)

Well done!!!
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 02:10:14 am »
Beautiful as always Gordon. Always skip a heartbeat when I see another one of your bows for the first time!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.