Author Topic: STRING  (Read 4682 times)

Offline mitchman

STRING
« on: October 07, 2007, 02:09:05 pm »
HOW MANY DIFFERENT THINGS CAN YOU MAKE STRING OUT OF. WHAT KIND OF PLANTS OR ANTHING ELSE THAT YOU FOUND THAT WORKS. I HAVE USED MILKWEED WITH AWESOME RESULTS.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: STRING
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 06:05:46 pm »
 A few that I've used with good results are milkweed, dogbane, stinging nettles, wood nettles, evening primrose, cattail, blue star (Amsonia), yucca, wild flax, inner bark of basswood, hickory, tulip poplar, locust, slippery elm, and mulberry. There are probably a lot more out there that work, you just have to experiment.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 06:31:38 pm »
       A few more ta add ta Hillbilly's list er; coconut husk, bannana, agave..............bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 06:38:45 pm »
HOW MANY DIFFERENT THINGS CAN YOU MAKE STRING OUT OF.
And that only touches the surface.  They didn't even start on animal parts.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

jamie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 09:38:32 pm »
daylilly, iris, simple cordage from the roots of conifers, grass, cedar bark a whole bunch of tropical stuff i got my hands on but dont know the name, and my favorite, straw wrappers. i get bored at the restauraunt and undo all the straw covers and make string :P like justin said, sinew rawhide gut and hair from animals

Offline stickbender

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 02:25:02 am »

And down here in the NY elephant burial grounds, we have a nuisance weed that grows wild, some call it a cockle burr, but cockle burrs are bigger.  It has a small seed pod, that breaks in two, and is similar to the velcro part that catches on the fuzzy part.  Anyway, I believe the proper name is velvet leaf.  I could be wrong.  But it has a bark that when stripped green, and allowed to dry, it makes very strong string.  Somewhat like hemp.  No , I don't know how it smokes......But when you go through a patch, or have a long haired dog, you are going to be busy for awhile.

Stick Bender